7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 2:46 PM by ShirleyMB

TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT

ShirleyMB

Title

TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT

I created a report with a title page in the title header section and set it to not print page 1 for that page. This works out fine in the PDF, i.e. no page number appears on the cover page. My problem is that my boss now wants me to add a 2nd preliminary page before the body of the report. I know that a title header can only appear once, so how do I make a second page that will also appear without a footer page number so that the data pages themselves can start with page 1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT
          Sorbsbuster

What happens if you extend the title header section to be two pages long?

• 2. Re: TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT
            ShirleyMB

I had tried to extend the title header to 2 pages, but the second page doesn't appear in the preview.

• 3. Re: TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT
              philmodjunk

If all else fails, you can print these pages from a separate layout.

• 4. Re: TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT
                ShirleyMB

I need to make a PDF of the report, so how would that work with 2 layouts?

• 5. Re: TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT
                  philmodjunk

I don't know that you need to as I haven't had the time to test a two page title header to see if I get the same results you do, but with a script, the save as PDF script step has the option to append the PDF generated to an existing PDF file. Thus you could do one of the two following methods:

1)

Go to the layout for the first two pages and save as PDF.

Go to the layout for the rest of your report, save as PDF and append it to the file created by the first save as pdf step.

2)

Keep a PDF file of just the cover pages in a standard location. Use Insert File to Insert a copy of the file into a container field and then use Export Field contents to export a copy of the file. This trick makes a new copy of the cover pages each time the script runs so you can keep the original copy as a "template".

Now do the same as option 1, go to the layout for the rest of your report  and use Save As PDF with the append option to append it to the copy you just created.

With both options you need to use a variable to specify the name of the PDF and it's location. If you do not know how to do this, see this thread: Found Sets to PDF with unique file names

That same variable can be used with Export Field Contents in Option 2.

• 6. Re: TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT
                    Sorbsbuster

"I had tried to extend the title header to 2 pages, but the second page doesn't appear in the preview." - Well, who'da thunk it!  Phil's idea is the best.

• 7. Re: TWO-PAGE COVER FOR REPORT
                      ShirleyMB

I created layouts for the cover pages (my boss decided she wanted 2 additional pages, so I created 2 layouts, each containing 2 "pages"), as Phil suggested, and created scripts for each, with the second stipulating PDF append. It worked beautifully! The process did not require any variables or containers for the script to work. Thank you for all your help!