10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 8:59 AM by philmodjunk

UI help.

jpdoty

Title

UI help.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Filemaker and have a question about UI.  I would like to have a form with two columns, a list view with the details to the right.

Any reference or examples on how to do this would be appreciated.  Here is an image I found on what I'm trying to do.

Thank you,

John

FMScreenShot.JPG

• 1. Re: UI help.
          philmodjunk

I don't see any image. Either it is slow to appear--as is sometimes the case or perhaps the file format of the image file you tried to upload is not one of the file types listed next to the controls for uploading an image.

In FileMaker "two columns of data" would simply be two fields defined in a database table. Either a list view or a table view can be used to display such a list of records.

• 2. Re: UI help.
            jpdoty

Hi PhilModJunk,

The image appears on my computer, so I'm not sure.

I got the image from:

www.filemaker.com/developers/devcon/2011/updates/DES011.pdf

The image is about 1/2 way down titled:

Two Column: Search+List, Details

Thank you for helping me.

John

• 3. Re: UI help.
              philmodjunk

Ok, Now that the graphic finally showed up, I think you need to step back from the GUI design and think about your data model that provides the foundation for what you put on the screen.

I see information about a single person and their "Giving History". That suggest two tables linked in a relationship. Donors----<Donations that would be linked by a Donor ID. Your layout would then be a Form view based on Donors with your chart set up to chart data from Donations.

• 4. Re: UI help.
                jpdoty

That is correct,  I have my relationships set up and everything works correctly in form view (i.e. using a portal).  I would like my form to look like the one above.  My understanding so far is: the form used in the example is a (LIST VIEW0 is that correct.

Thank You,

John

• 5. Re: UI help.
                  philmodjunk

I see no sign of a list view. It looks like a form view, but the same layout design can be viewed in either view. The only difference would be that you'd be able to use the scroll thumb or track pad/touch screen gestures to scroll the window vertically to move from record to record if the layout is in List view.

What I see in the view is a bunch of individual fields and a chart object where the fields have been arranged into two physical columns. The right hand column displays a chart plus summary (aggregate) and other data from the related donations table. Calculation fields--some might use ExecuteSQL, or possibly some portals could be used to display the giving history data.

• 6. Re: UI help.
                    jpdoty

I guess what I'm trying to do is called a: Two-Panel Selector.  When a record on the left is selected, that record is displayed on the right for editing.

Thank You,

John

• 7. Re: UI help.
                      philmodjunk

That's not what your screen shot shows. The right hand column simply doesn't display detail data. The data on the left could be editable but the data on the right represents summary data and thus would not be directly editable.

There are ways to produce what you want, but the key question is: How would you "select" a record on the left hand side? Records can be selected from a scrollable list, a drop down list/pop up menu, or by specifying criteria used to perform a find to pull up the matching record or records...

• 8. Re: UI help.
                        jpdoty

I think that's it, I want a Scrollable List on the Left that a person cannot edit, then when a item in the list is selected it appears on the Right side for editing.  This is what I would like to know how to do.

Thank You,

John

• 9. Re: UI help.
                          jrobgk1

Check out the Master-Detail Module on the modular filemaker website, run by Todd Geist of Geist Interactive. Great way to manage what you are talking about using a virtual list, and showing a related record.

You can also accomplish this by having a second TO of the table you are trying to display, using a "X" join on the primary ID, and you can create a list of related records in a portal, showing the related record from the master table in form view.

• 10. Re: UI help.
                            philmodjunk

Using your donor----<Donations example, you could set it up like this:

Put a portal to Donations on your Donor layout. And it will list all donations by a given donor. You can add a second relationship to donations using a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of Donations to get this:

Donors::selectedDonation = Donations|Selected::__pkDonationID

Put a button in your portal row or use Button Setup to turn the fields in your portal row into a button and have it perform this script:

Set Field [ Donors::SelectedDonation ; Donations::__pkDonationID ]
                                 Refresh Window [] --> This step may not be needed. Add it if you don't get an immediate update when you click the portal row.

Then your column of details can be fields added to your layout from Donations|Selected and you can then edit the donation details for the donation that you click in the portal.

There are many variations possible, including setting up a self join with the X operator to get a list of Donors where clicking the portal row selects a Donor record instead of a Donations record.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained