3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 6:47 PM by davidanders

Unable to access on-board filemaker help file

ishulman

Title

Unable to access on-board filemaker help file

I'm running filemaker pro 9 on my Mac (OSX 10.5.8) and have been struggling with it of late because of what may be 2 problems:

1) Although I changed no setting, a formerly secured database file now opens without any password protection. A second (unrelated) file that is also protected continues to require a password to open. This data needs to remain protected.

2) I can no longer access the filemaker help file. Reinstalling the software did not rectify the problem and all the knowledge base articles I have looked at (under 'file corruption') are about operating from a server. Mine are standalone files on a single computer.

Other info:

-At around the time these problems began my computer froze twice, both while iTunes was playing (the music continued playing even though everything else froze)

-I typically use Filemaker pro 9, Microsoft office, Firefox and iCal simultaneously.

Any assistance is appreciated and thanks to those who have already taken a crack at this one.

ishulman

• 1. Re: Unable to access on-board filemaker help file
          davidanders

I would suggest creating a New User in Accounts in the System Preferences.

Logout and Login as the New User and test things.

This can narrow it down to a system problem or user account problem.

Monthly Maintenance is important (and running the utility after crashes)

On Macs I recommend AppleJack

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596

About AppleJack

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,150670/printable.html

• 2. Re: Unable to access on-board filemaker help file
            ishulman

David,

I've created a new account. Launching filemaker results in the error: "A general activation error has occurred (-76)."

Re applejack: I currently run Disk Utility approximately monthly to repair permissions.

Ian

• 3. Re: Unable to access on-board filemaker help file
              davidanders

Re applejack: I currently run Disk Utility approximately monthly to repair permissions.

About AppleJack link above describes it pretty well.

It does five OSX builtin repair routines

(these are also in Onyx, Coctail and other maintenance utilities) 

Hard Drive Repair (Disk Utility) that normally can not be done with booting from a CD / DVD / ext harddrive

OR running fsck from the single user boot option (boot with command S keys down)

Permissions Repair

Preferences Corruption check

Cache Deletion  (corrupt caches - especially font caches, can commonly cause problems)

There are several utilities that clean caches for this reason. 

VM (virtual memory) clearing.

Of these the less useful are permissions repair and preferences check

It is analogous to kicking the tires, checking the gas gauge, checking the fuses and air cleaner and gas filter.

May not help, seldom hurts and sometimes solves.

The fact you are getting the activation error, suggests it was installed for one user or something that TSGirl may know the answer to.