4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 9:30 AM by philmodjunk

Unable to add new record in related table!

Jose_1

Title

I think i'm doing everthing ok, but the information  does not apear in the related table!?...

Can you help me please?

• 1. Re: Unable to add new record in related table!
          SteveMartino

You have to provide some additional info.  Screen shot of relationships, anything......link the DB to Dropbox.

• 2. Re: Unable to add new record in related table!
            philmodjunk

and there's more than one way to try to add that record. What method did you use? A step by step description would be helpful.

• 3. Re: Unable to add new record in related table!
              zxspectrum

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vilmoilgphcmenb/nEz--6H8l7

A) My first post!:

Unable to add new record in primary related table!

I think i'm doing everthing ok, but the information  does not apear in the related table!?...

Can you help me please?

B) Some more information:

1.           I have created 2 tables: Cars_Owners (primary) and Cars (Secondary);
              3.           I have created their fields;
              5.           I have created a relation betwen them, linking the Owners_name field (in the Primary) with the name field (in the Secondary);
              7.           I gave permission to create new record's in both tables.
              9.           to help me on new records creation, i have made one layout with one portal to see and introduce the data in the secondary table!

C) what is appening?:

1.           when I create a new record on the primary table, with the portal on the layout, the new data will appear on the Secondary table, with no problems!
              3.           But, if I am using an layout without the portal, I mean, I'm using de Secondary table with the "Owners_Cars" field, as an related field, I can not append a new name on the Primary table!

What do I need to do, to add an new name, if he does not exists on the Primary table?

I will join some screen captures of this situation with my example!

Obrigado.

José

• 4. Re: Unable to add new record in related table!
                philmodjunk

I have created a relation betwen them, linking the Owners_name field (in the Primary) with the name field (in the Secondary)

This is not a good idea. What will you do when you get two different people with the same name? There are better ways to link the two tables.

I'm using de Secondary table with the "Owners_Cars" field, as an related field

Do you mean that you are on a layout for Cars and are trying to create a new Cars_Owners record? By entering data into the Cars_Owners::Name field? Is "Allow Creation of records via this relationship" enabled for Cars_Owners in the relationship between these two tables or did you just enable it for Cars? (There's a check box for each side of the relationship.)