5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 2:47 AM by TitaniusTiti

Unable to connect

TitaniusTiti

Title

Unable to connect

Hi guys,

Currently I am trying to connect an external Data source (actually its a web browser/page) to Filemaker Pro 12.

The external data source is connected to my Macbook Pro via a LAN cable.

I researched in the net and found out that ODBC is required. I downloaded it and tried to connect but unsuccessful.

One of the issues I'm facing is, I do not know what platform the web page is developed from , i.e Microsoft SQL, MySQL, Oracle or Open Office Databases. I could not get the information as its third-party application.

So I tried using each and everyone of the database platforms in the hope of connecting through.

When I tried using Microsoft SQL and MySQL, after I setup the ODBC connection, a dialog box 'Actual SQL Server Login' appears when I clicked on the 'Test'. I have no idea whats the login or password. I tried using the login and password used to access the web browser but its of no use.

The connection is not established.

I am unsure whether I am heading in the right direction or otherwise.

Kindly advice.

Thanks

Titano

• 1. Re: Unable to connect
          philmodjunk

Hmmm, I believe that ODBC would be used to connect to the software serving up data to the web page--not the web page itself...

• 2. Re: Unable to connect
            TitaniusTiti

Hi,

In that case how do i connect to the webpage? I only have the ip address.

Is there any way to connect the webpage to filemaker pro?

The webpage has data stored in .csv format. I am trying to pull that data into Filemaker pro as real time data so that I could monitor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Titano

• 3. Re: Unable to connect
              philmodjunk

That would depend on what you need and the level of access you can get to the data from the web server. One method is to "scrape" the needed data from the web page. You can use Insert From URL (fileMaker 12 or newer only)  to load a text field with the contents of the web page or GetLayoutObjectAttribute with the "content" parameter (use with FileMaker 11 and older) to load the text field from the contents of a web viewer.

Then you end up having to parse the data from a big messy pile of HTML tagged text. There are custom functions folks have created and that you can go to a webiste library of the same to find, which make it easier to parse data out of such a mess.

• 4. Re: Unable to connect
                TitaniusTiti

Hi,

I tried using Insert from URL but unsuccessful also. Maybe I am not stating my issues clearly.

1. I want to export the .csv data in my machine to filemaker pro and monitor thru Filemaker. Since I cant access the server, now my only hope is to try to auto-download the .csv data into Filemaker Pro periodically and monitor.

2. I would also like to input some additional functions via scripting like alarms and timekeeping.

Thus for Issue 1, is there any way to download the .csv file directly to Filemaker pro. My current practice is, I'm downloading the .csv into Excel and transferring that info to Filemaker manually. 

For Issue 2, i believe that for additional functions, scripting is to be induced. But how do I proceed?

I managed to get some info of the server. Its attached.

Kindly help me out.

Thanks a lot/

Titano

• 5. Re: Unable to connect
                  TitaniusTiti

Hi,

The web page has a few switch buttons which are used to stop, pause, resume an operation.

How can I operate these switch buttons remotely from elsewhere by using Filemaker Pro?

Please advise

Thanks and Regards

Titano