Do not use the patient name, ever, to link tables. Use the PatientID. You should have two tables:
- Patient Table (with the PatientID field just as you have)
- Sample Table, with a SampleID (just as you have), and a PatientID. This PatientID is a number you type in (for the meantime).
- Create a few Patient Records
- Create a few Sample records.
- In each Sample Record, enter one of the PatientIDs you created. Use the same ones several times.
Create a link between the two tables using PatientID on both sides of the relationship.
Go to a layout based on the Patient Table. Insert a portal based on the Samples table (strictly: 'Based on the Table Occurance that links the Patient Table to the Samples Table by PatientID')
In the portal drop the Sample ID field (and any other field you populated) from that related table. (The 'wizard' will guide you.)
Go back into browse mode and you will see all the samples records listed for that patient.