7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2014 11:24 AM by philmodjunk

Unable to download attachments in FMP

JustinHouck

Title

Unable to download attachments in FMP

I am unable to download or view attachments (.pdf, .jpeg, .ai, etc.) from my FileMaker Pro database.  The menu options from right-clicking does not give an option to view or download.  Double-clicking does not work either.  I am running the Mac version of Filemaker Pro if that makes any difference.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Screen_Shot_2014-12-05_at_10.28.02_AM.png

• 1. Re: Unable to download attachments in FMP
          philmodjunk

Since FileMaker is not a web browser, in what context do you need to "download" and preview a file? Neither of those actions sound like typical tasks to do with a Database system.

Are you trying to open a file that was inserted into a container field? That can be done with the Export Field Contents command--which is found in the Edit menu.

• 2. Re: Unable to download attachments in FMP
            JustinHouck

Yes, I am trying to open a file that was inserted into a container field.  As seen in the image on my initial post, the 'Export Field Contents' command is greyed out and doesn't allow me to select (the same is the case on the Edit toolbar.  

• 3. Re: Unable to download attachments in FMP
              philmodjunk

If you click into the field first (and it has to allow browse mode access--a setting in the inspector) it should no longer be greyed out.

Another option:

IF the file was inserted into the container field using Insert File and the "store a reference" option was selected for that insert,

IF the container field is not set up for external storage,

AND IF the container field is not optimized for interactive content

then you can double click the container field and the file whose file reference was inserted into that container field will open in your system's default application for that file type.

• 4. Re: Unable to download attachments in FMP
                JustinHouck

See attached photo from a colleague's computer running the same database, where they are able to open the documents.  Any idea why their program has the 'Open Acrobat Document' while mine does not?  

I appreciate your help.

• 5. Re: Unable to download attachments in FMP
                  philmodjunk

Do both computers use the same operating system?

Do both have the same version of FileMaker installed?

Might they have different access permissions?

Might they have acrobat installed on their computer and this might not be installed on yours?

• 6. Re: Unable to download attachments in FMP
                    JustinHouck

See responses below in red.  As indicated, the main difference here is that I'm running FMP in Mac OS while the others are running the PC version.  That being said, the database works fine on my system except for opening these documents.   

Do both computers use the same operating system?

No, they are running FMP in Windows, while I am running Mac OS X Mavericks.

Do both have the same version of FileMaker installed?

One is PC version, one is Mac version (FMP 11).

Might they have different access permissions?

Access permissions are the same.

Might they have acrobat installed on their computer and this might not be installed on yours?

Acrobat is installed and the default for .pdf's on both.

• 7. Re: Unable to download attachments in FMP
                      philmodjunk

Is it possible that The windows version was used with Insert Object or drag and drop to insert the file? That will insert the file as an object and then there is no way to export the field contents--a major limitation of that option. You can only double click to open the file on a Windows system and then use the default application that opened the file to save a copy of it--which you can then re-insert into your container field using other methods than insert object or drag and drop. That works, but is hellishly tedious if you have a very large number of files inserted via this method.