Hope that you will get a better answer from FileMaker, but here my first suggestion:
Check that you are not having any old plugins installed.
If this is not the case I would go all the way
- Uninstall FileMaker (I know, you have already done so)
- Users/[you]/Library*/FileMaker ... remove everything from this folder or even better, the entire folder
- Users/[you]/Library*/Application Support ...remove all files starting with com.filemaker....
- /Library/Application Support/FileMaker ... remove this folder
Did this help?
* Getting to the Users/Library/ is not straight forward since it is invisible. In Finder hold down Alt button and go to the "Go" menu. When you hold the alt button down the Library will be visible in the list.
Sadly, I've tried all of that and still... nothing.
"downloading the installer from different sources"
There should be only one source for the download. The link from Filemaker after you purchase FMPA.
Did you order the physical DVD.
I used two sources: one was from my maintenance upgrade and the 2nd was the free Devcon application.
It is really strange, we did not have any problems on any Mac's or PC's with the release edition.
Do you have a chance to install on an other Mac?
Yes, I've installed in on my mac mini (running 10.10.3) with no problem and on another macbook air.. no problem. I so clearly it's my computer. I just don't know what it could be since this particular laptop is pretty clean. I have FMA12, FMA13 plus a few plugins and a couple of 3rd party fonts(yes, I removed them) plus Microsoft office. That's it.
and the 2nd was the free Devcon application.
Too late now, but it sounds like you should have taken advantage of FileMaker Tech office hours while at DevCon.
FIXED!!!! I am saying this really out loud because it's a system bug. My hard driver user name include a special character (in this case an accent). This will prevent you from launching FM advance 14 (and FM pro 14, although the error looks different - just keeps telling you that you have a trial account and won't accept your license code).
Thank you FM tech people.