1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 9:39 AM by philmodjunk

Unable to open database from filemaker pro admin consol or from network client

alan.surry

Title

Unable to open database from filemaker pro admin consol or from network client

We have just moved premises and have reconnected our PC's in pretty much the same way as at the old premises.  The problem we have is that we are unable to open the filemker pro (V8) database file from any of the client PC's.  The only database we can see is the sample database wich lives in the next sub-directory in the shared folder.  The network sharing is working fine and all client PC's can access the network share folders files on the server.  Similarly, users can browse to the database file and attempt to open it from there, but this returns a different error message. 

When we try to open the database from the filemaker admin consol on the server, it remains closed, although the sample file can be opened and closed normally.  Filemakersupport have said that this may be a firewall issue, though I fail to see how this can be when I'm working on the consol on the same machine! 

The only real change in the network is that we are now using a basic ADSL router & switch and have ditched a VPN router that we had at the old premises.  I'm wondering if the filemaker database is set to allow access only via the (missing) VPN router, perhaps via an I.P. adress range that doesn't exist anymore, though I fail to see why this would be neccesary for staff sitting a couple of feet away from the server.  If anyone can shed any light on the subject they will have been much more help than "Tech Support" from filemaker we have been able to offer so far. 

Thanking you in advance,  

Alan Surry

• 1. Re: Unable to open database from filemaker pro admin consol or from network client
          philmodjunk

I wish I could give you more specific help but there's one statement you made that caught my attention:

"The network sharing is working fine and all client PC's can access the network share folders files on the server.  Similarly, users can browse to the database file and attempt to open it from there, but this returns a different error message."

As you've discovered, sharing a folder does not have any effect on how filemaker accesses a database hosted on another computer--whether by Filemaker Server or Filemaker Pro. Furthermore, the files should NOT be placed in a folder where sharing is enabled. Attempting to access such files directly from another machine can be hazardous to your data security and file integrity.

Are your users launching filemaker pro and then using open remote to attempt to see the database files? Can they at least connect to the sample database file?

Which version of Filemaker Server are you using?

Things to check:

Open each of the files with a copy of Filemaker Pro and check their settings under File | Sharing | Filemaker Network... Make sure Network Sharing is on and that access is permitted for all users.

As Filemaker tech suggested, check your firewall settings, as a quick test, turn off the firewall and see if things change. If turning off the firewall makes everything work for you, look up the firewall setting in your documentation and make sure that all the correct ports are enabled as your filemaker server documentation specifies.