5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 3:24 PM by TSGal

Unable to Open Hosted File From XP Machine

gregzzzz

Title

Unable to Open Hosted File From XP Machine

I am having trouble opening hosted files from an XP machine.  The FP7 file is hosted on a Vista system, and all of our other Vista machines can open the file.  When I try to open the file from the XP machine, the host is listed in the remote dialog, and the file is listed under available files, but the file won't open.  I get an error message that says the file cannot be opened, either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host.  I know the host is available, because I can access files on the machine through the network.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Unable to Open Hosted File From XP Machine
          Steve Wright

Ive come across this a few times, however there may be a number of reasons.

One suggestion which works for one of my clients is that if you have a static IP address, change it to dynamic or vice versa

Infact my client has to do this daily, yes thats change it back and forward between the two daily...

Since I can only support them remotely, I have been unable to have a thorough look without the risk of disconnecting myself from their machine.

Also go into network adapters and run a diagnose / repair, that can some times bring it back to life.

On my own machines a while back, I had the same issue and could never figure it out, every now and then it would simply start working again.

I later upgraded to the evil 'Vista'  and have never experienced the same issue, likewise on windows 7

Sorry I cant be much more help than that

• 2. Re: Unable to Open Hosted File From XP Machine
            gregzzzz

Thanks for the comments, SW.  Unfortunately, none of your suggestions solved my problem.  We have a specialized software package on that XP machine, so upgrading to Vista at this point, is not an option.  I guess I could put 2 computers at that station, but it would be nice if I could make this work.

Does anybody have any other recommendations?

• 3. Re: Unable to Open Hosted File From XP Machine
              philmodjunk
                 What if you host the file from the XP machine instead of one of the Vista machines? I realize there may be some very good security reasons for not doing this, but if you can make it work, it might avoid the issue.
              • 4. Re: Unable to Open Hosted File From XP Machine
                gregzzzz

Not a bad suggestion.  It would create some issues, like you said (security, backups, our XP machine must be shut down each day), but that may be my best option.  If I don't come across a solution, I may take your advice.

Thank you very much.

• 5. Re: Unable to Open Hosted File From XP Machine
                  TSGal

All:

Thank you for your posts.

There have been a couple of problems reported with Windows XP unable to see hosts on Windows Vista, and it appears to be Bonjour related.  This usually happens with Bonjour 1.0.5 installed on Vista, and either Bonjour 1.0.4 or Bonjour 1.0.5 installed on Windows XP.  It appears to be a timing issue, and on some machines, refreshing the host list SOMETIMES works.

If Bonjour 1.0.4 is installed on both machines with IPv4, then there isn't a problem.

On the flip side, Vista can see Windows XP host with either IPv4 or IPv6 installed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.