5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 1:05 AM by ITManager

Unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12?

JasonWestbrook

Title

Unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12?

Hi,

I'm attempting to create an unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12. All of the information from FileMaker Official just points to doing this via Control Panel. However we are about to upgrade to FileMaker Pro 13 and removing 12 by hand from a hundred plus computers doesn't sound fun at all. While I noticed that FileMaker 13 provides instructions for doing a Silent uninstall 12 seems to lack this sort of function.

I've checked the registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Uninstall but found no entry for our Filemaker 12 install.

I noticed there's an "Uninstall.exe" file within the Filemaker folder of Program Files (x86) but all it says when clicked on is this is used for the Add/Remove programs install. 

Any guidance on this would be most appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: Unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12?
          RickWhitelaw

Why uninstall at all? There doesn't seem to be a point in doing this.

• 2. Re: Unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12?
            philmodjunk

I could see some confusion occurring when users accidentally open FileMaker 12, connect to the hosted database and then stuff goes awry due to the hosted file requiring FMP 13 specific features.

• 3. Re: Unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12?
              RickWhitelaw

Phil,

I suppose that's a possibility. I have 9,10,11,12 and 13 on my main machine. In the dock I have only 12 and 13. I should probably have 11 and 13 there. in any case I never launch the wrong version. If that became a problem I would simply have only 13 in the dock. As well, there's always the option to show info on a given file and specify which application should be used to open it. With all these options it seems unnecessary to uninstall previous versions. However, I suppose when dealing with many client machines (just re read the original post) I suppose just getting rid of previous versions is probably the best route. I wonder if automating the "open with" routine might be easier. 

• 4. Re: Unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12?
                JasonWestbrook

Hi Everyone and thanks for responding. Avoiding the possiblity of confusion between versions is exactly why I'm looking to remove 12 and because we have so many machines with it on there, I'd prefer to create a silent uninstaller for it. Our user base is sensitive when it comes to computers and can be easily confused by having two versions on their PCs at once. Instead of assuming they'd just open the right one every time I'd prefer to eliminate that possiblity entirely.

Thanks again for the prompt responses and support,

Jason

• 5. Re: Unattended UNinstall of Filemaker Pro 12?
                  ITManager

Jason

I was/am in the same boat as you.

Here's what worked for me.

I use PDQ Deploy but anything that will remotely execute an .msi file should do.

msiexec.exe /x {71A1C9DF-A5F0-4331-BAC0-6DF4B8069950} ALLUSERS=1 /qn /norestart /log output.log 

I got the product code from the registry of one of the machines just looking in the appropriate location (32 bit or 64 bit). This code is for 12.0.4.0

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gary