7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 8:54 AM by datajim

Underline beyond text

datajim

Title

Underline beyond text

Migrated database from 8.5. In the major text field titles are underlined with the underline extending beyond the title itself. In some records the extended underline remained intact and can be extended further by use of the spacebar- on others the underline is only under the title and cannot be extended either with the spacebar or by selecting the area next to the title. What is the method for extending the underline beyond the text?

• 1. Re: Underline beyond text
          philmodjunk

Select the field while in layout mode and select Format | Style. Is Underline or Word Underline selected? That might be the difference you are seeing here.

• 2. Re: Underline beyond text
            datajim

Thanks for the reply. That field contains many lines of text- I only want to underline one of the lines and extend the underline beyond that line of text. I can, of course, select that line and underline it but in some of the records I cannot extend the underline any further than the last word- in others, I can.

• 3. Re: Underline beyond text
              philmodjunk

Odd, I've been playing with this in my copy of FileMaker and can't extend the underline past the last non-space character. If the last character isn't a space (certain other characters such as a sticky space come to mind), then I might be able to get the underline to extend by inserting spaces between it and the last visible character.

On the other hand, I can just hold down the shift key and type the underline character instead of a space....

• 4. Re: Underline beyond text
                datajim

What is a sticky space? I can create space with the space bar and then type a period which will then fill the spaces in between with an underline but in some of the records I can simply use the space bar to extend the underline beyond the last character. You said "hold down the shift key and type the underline character" -don't know what you mean by underline character. 

• 5. Re: Underline beyond text
                  philmodjunk

don't know what you mean by underline character.

I'm suggesting an alternative that may or may not work for your situation. Hold down shift and press the key to the left of the + key. Without shift, it's a hyphen, with shift it's the underline character: ________ --which might avoid the need to fight with this aspect of styling text in Filemaker altogether.

• 6. Re: Underline beyond text
                    Sorbsbuster

I was confused: in the first post you talk of the field title being underlined, and then later you talk of the field contents.  If it is the field contents, then you can format the text in the field to have a fill character between tabs, so that this:

ID                  Qty                  Date

is presented as this:

ID--------------Qty---------------Date

(for example).

Is this what may have happened?

• 7. Re: Underline beyond text
                      datajim

The problem with using the "underline character" is that it will not line up on the same plane with the word underline and doesn't look right when printed. 

The titles are in the text box along with other text. I want to extend the underline beyond the title text. The confusing thing is that in some records I can do that, in others I can't so I'm assuming that there must be a way to do it.

Can it be formatted so that the word underline is between tabs without having a character at the end of the underline?