5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2015 6:13 AM by philmodjunk

Undo Auto Populate

PamelaRoditch

Title

Undo Auto Populate

I have two fields in the same database that somehow I must have set to auto populate. So when I enter the date in the one, it enters it in the other at the same time. I'm afraid I've already lost a lot of info this way, as what was previously separated into the two fields seems to be gone and only the same data is in both fields. Does anyone know how to undo this?

THANKS!

• 1. Re: Undo Auto Populate
          philmodjunk

It might not be lost. Could it be that you simply have two copies of the same field on your layout? If so, you just need to put the original field back on the layout and you are back in business.

If, you have done something else (and checking out the field's definition in Manage | Database | fields would be helpful), then you may have a serious problem with missing data. Do you make and keep back up copies of your database file?

• 2. Re: Undo Auto Populate
            PamelaRoditch

Thanks for getting back! I had two fields to start out with, from a while back, then I thought I'd make one a drop-down, realized I don't want that after all, then changed them both from "date" to just plain "text" so they we could add more dates to them. Anyway, it says they are both "indexed" - which is odd, as I don't need them to be.
            I'll check the fields definition and get back to you.
            I used to back things up, but then the database went onto a shared network, so I don't anymore :(

• 3. Re: Undo Auto Populate
              philmodjunk

I used to back things up, but then the database went onto a shared network, so I don't anymore :(

At that point, back ups became critically important due to being, hopefully, hosted over a network for use by multiple users.

In layout mode, click each field in turn and check the "display data from" box in the inspector. See if you see the same field name or different field names there.

• 4. Re: Undo Auto Populate
                PamelaRoditch

You're my hero! 4:15 on a Friday afternoon and you solved it for me! Sheesh I didn't see that I had the same field name in there! And my data is all there too!  BIG smile!

• 5. Re: Undo Auto Populate
                  philmodjunk

But save yourself some major headaches! Get a back up system in place that regularly backs up your data. If you are hosting your database with FileMaker Pro (instead of server) you can script "save a copy as" to make regular back ups of the file.

(If you are not hosting the file at all but just accessing it directly on the server, stop doing that as you can damage your database file that way.)