1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 1, 2011 1:03 PM by AlanHarper

Unexpected column break for sub-summary report

AlanHarper

Title

Unexpected column break for sub-summary report

Hi

I have a pretty simple layout with only a header, sub-summary, and body. The sub-summary shows a field from the related table (call it Higher), and the Body shows fields from the primary table (call it Stuff). There are fields Higher::sortOrder and Stuff:sortOrder (both integers).

So I sort records in table Stuff by (a) Higher::sortOrder and then (b) Stuff:sortOrder. I then go to Preview Mode.

What I see is that sometimes there is no column break (records continue to the bottom of a column, then start in the next column), sometimes there is a column break (lots of white space at the bottom of the column, and the next column starts with the next value of Higher::sortOrder, and sometimes the amount of white space at the bottom of the column is absurd. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to this. The report looks awful, and I can't figure out how to make it look good.

The body is set up with large fields, that are shrunk and slid to make each Body record as small as possible on printing.

Attached is the layout, followed by the Preview view of a few pages. The Preview view faithfully represents what is printed.

Screen_shot_2011-09-30_at_13.36.35_.png