4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 12:49 PM by Overthere

Unexpected difference in container field response between two Starter Solutions

Overthere

Title

Unexpected difference in container field response between two Starter Solutions

Hi

Following on from the help i was given in a previous thread  (How to open files in container in external program without .. http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/bb0114d69e). I noticed that the behaviour of the container fields in the two Starter solutions Content Management and Research notes seems to differ but I can't determine why from the defining values I can see in the software (e.g. in inspector / field type), any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Overthere

On FM12 trial Win 7 x64

Issue:

Research Notes solution has pdf option permently greyed out in insert menu. Get no preview of pdf's even if choose interactive content in inspector. As long as insert files as relative link can open by double click regardless of optimisation option checked (would expect only open on double click if optimise for images).

Content Management container field behaves as expected, can insert as pdf into interactive container to preview or change to optimise for image in inspector and insert file as reference and open with doubleclick.

Resolution: I would like to understand the reason for the different behaviours so I can set up my database correctly. In particular being able to robustly have a mix of container fields defined to be either previewable (for pdf's/images) or clickable to open in external programs (for scientific data) is the behaviour I am after.

• 1. Re: Unexpected difference in container field response between two Starter Solutions
          philmodjunk

Open Manage | Database | fields and double click the fields. Check to see if the same storage options are used. It may be that one specifies external storage.

Other factors to check:

The insert method: Double Click only opens files that were inserted via Insert File. Insert Picture, Insert PDF, etc. methods do not produce a container field with this behavior.

Store a Reference. This option, specified in a script or in the Insert File dialog must be selected.

Both of these options may require that you open up a script used to insert the file to see what methods were specified in the script.

You can also glean clues by examing the text in the container Field. GetAsText ( ContainerField ) will return differing blocks of text for the different combinations of insertion options.

• 2. Re: Unexpected difference in container field response between two Starter Solutions
            Overthere

Thanks for the ideas.

I'd initially thought that external / not might be the difference but both fields are not set to external storage.

I've tried the different combinations of insertion method and internal vs store as referenence in both starter solutions and it doesn't correlate with the difference. I'll check tonight if the text returned is different between the two starter solutions for the same method of insertion.

Other thought is are the starter solutions write protected? ie when I was first getting to grips with the program could I have altered a setting by accident in the file version the software uses as the basis of new starter solutions?

• 3. Re: Unexpected difference in container field response between two Starter Solutions
              philmodjunk

Once you have selected the template via "new from starter solution" the file is wide open for any changes you care to make.

More on the text you can extract fom the container field:

If the file was not inserted with "store a refererence", all you see is the file name.

If the file was inserted with Insert picture/store a reference, the first line is the pixel dimensions of the image.

If the file was inserted with Insert File/Store a reference, you'll see a file path to the file, but no pixel dimensions.

• 4. Re: Unexpected difference in container field response between two Starter Solutions
                Overthere

I checked if there was a difference in the container response on a completly independent install (new install on different computer) and the response is different as i recorded above so that says its not something I've accidently changed.