2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 3:43 AM by LuisGuerreiro

Uninterrupted column borders on reports

LuisGuerreiro

Title

Uninterrupted column borders on reports

Hi everyone!

I am fairly new to Filemaker, but so far I have found it really easy to program and have managed to accomplish nearly all I have set out to do until now.

I am generating a report containing automatically resizeable fields (sliding fields) and I am having a problem to include a variable length column border for the different columns, causing the overall report to appear in preview with broken borders (or sometimes no border when the fields are empty) because the border only appears in the minimum height that the 'sliding' option sets it to (for each individual field).

The report worked fine without the sliding option activated.

In essence, what I am looking for is for all the fields in one line of the report to be automatically formatted with the height of field requiring the most number of rows depending on its content.

I am attaching a print screen of how the report looks like at the moment.

Thank you in advance for any help!

FM_Print_Screen.jpg

• 1. Re: Uninterrupted column borders on reports
          philmodjunk

Yep, this is a known limitation of FileMaker. If you care to add your request to the many that have already requested a change you may use the Feature Suggestion Form to do so.

You can get borders that do not come up short like this, but the result often looks a bit ugly. You can try it and see if you can make it work for you.

Use the line tool while in layout mode and carefully position and adjust it so that one pixel of it extends past the top of the body layout part and one pixel extends past the bottom of the body layout part. The boxes in the top of the Inspector's position tab can be very useful for making such fine adjustments.

This can look a bit ugly as the extra bits poking up and down into the other layout parts can look just plain wrong. You may be able to hide them with heavy Horizontal lines at the part boundary, but I find I prefer to do without the borders, using a little extra white space instead, rather than try to get the borders of sliding fields to look correct.

• 2. Re: Uninterrupted column borders on reports
            LuisGuerreiro

Thank you Phil!

For the moment I will have to do without, but it really isn't an elegant solution...

I have added my suggestion too...