4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 2:23 PM by Sorbsbuster

unique field not recognized?

biogeek

Title

unique field not recognized?

I have a field in my data base that requires the user to enter a unique value, but it sees "GATCGGATCCGCCGCCACCATGgcccccccgaccgatgtcagcct"  and
      "GATCGGATCCGCCGCCACCATGgagttccgcgatgccctggaggatcgc" as the same.  Is this a bug or is there anything I can do about it?  Is there a way to increase the stringency of "unique"? This is a database of dna sequences used in academic/ non-commercial research and I as using filemaker pro 6.0 v4 on a Mac.

Thanks

• 1. Re: unique field not recognized?
          davidanders

Tested with a new FMP5.5 database.

Seemed to work up till 19 characters. 

• 2. Re: unique field not recognized?
            TSGal

blogeek:

Thank you for your post.

I believe the unique value was limited to the first 20 characters in version 6.  In version 10, the limit is the first 110 characters, and just to be sure, I tested your example of 45 characters, and it works.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: unique field not recognized?
              biogeek
                 Thanks! I guess I'll have to get the new version.  I have to say though that "unique" should mean "unique" and I can imagine it being useful to have the limit be several thousand characters rather than 110.  Having said that, I have to admit that I have no idea how hard this would be to achieve from a programming point of view.
              • 4. Re: unique field not recognized?
                Sorbsbuster

Just to clarify a detail (I was caught out by the 19(?)-character limit 15 years ago and haven't forgotten.  Nor forgiven, some would say.): Filemaker will index and check for uniqueness the first 110 characters of any one 'word'.  From my experience it will see the entire transcription of 'War & Peace' in one field, in one record, as different from a duplicated transcription in another record, but with the final letter missing.

If this is not the case I will stand corrected, of course, TSGal.

Alan