1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 8:28 AM by TSGal

unique fields under unique tabs, many to one relationship

Jennifer

Title

unique fields under unique tabs, many to one relationship

Hello,
      I have created two databases. One contains part numbers, the other is the purchase order which draws information (such as description) from the part number database based on the part number which is the matching relationship field. Can I create a many-to-one relationship? Say I have 3 tab location catagories in the part number database and each location has a subcatagory tab of types of parts, so there is Ohio Paper part number, Ohio general Office Part number, Georgia paper part number, Georgia General office part number. When i enter a part number into the purchase order I want it to try and draw from many of these fields to fill in the description. I used to just have one part number field with one relationship but I need to be able to view fields catagorically. Also, I have always used 'field repetitions' in the purchase order for a line by line item order field, however,only the first line item exports to excel.   How can i make sure everything found exports?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: unique fields under unique tabs, many to one relationship
          TSGal

Jennifer:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you can create a many-to-one relationship.  If you type in the part number, the portal can display all records that match that part number.  You can then decide which part number you want to use.  To create a portal, go into Layout Mode, and on the left side of the screen will display tools.  The icon just below the oval tool is the portal tool.  Click on this icon, and use it to create a box on the layout that will display this information.  After drawing the box, a dialog box will prompt you for which table you want to display (part numbers), and then another dialog box will ask for which fields you want displayed (description, price, etc.).  If you return to Browse mode, enter a part number, the portal will display all records from part number table that match that part number in the purchase order.

A repeating field is one field with many values.  What you may want to do is create another table with the same fields you want to export.  Then, import from the original table, and you will be prompted for what you want to do with repeating values.  You want to split them into separate records.  This allows you to then export all of your records to excel.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.