1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 2:15 PM by philmodjunk

unique number from diferent fields for client id

RafaelRassam

Title

unique number from diferent fields for client id

Hi:

I'm New to FileMaker, and needed to create a unique number to identify different clients. I need a 17 digit number, the first 2 digits are letters the next to have to be generated from a pull-down menu, the next two digits are from another menu and so on , i think this diagram explains the structure of the number better. This number cannot be repeated it must be unique. we have over 1,000 small clients. the last 6 digits should be generated automatically for every client.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me or if they have a solution for this.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

M H
      (client inicials)

0 1
      (zone)

0 1
      (type of client)

0 1
      (MATERIALS)

0 0 1
      (client buisnes id)

0 0 0 0 0 1
      (sequential)

• 1. Re: unique number from diferent fields for client id
          philmodjunk

You can use a text field with an auto-entered calculation to merge the values from each field and can then set a unique values validation rule on the field, but I don't recommend you use this field in relationships to link your tables. It's much simpler (and therefore easier to manage) if you use an auto-entered serial number for linking to other tables. You can still keep this field if you need it, just put it as a regular data field in your table and refer to it for searches, sorts and reports.