AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unique Serial Number including data from same record.

Question asked by tkmstudio on Aug 21, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Unique Serial Number including data from same record.

Hi,

I've deleted a similar post because I've scaled back my ambitions.  I  had wanted to generate a serial number that looked like this  TKM1996-001  ,  TKM1996-002  etc.  TKM2003-001  ,  TKM2003-002  etc.          re-incrementing the number for each year seems to be a straightforward matter of logic, but I was told it is very complicated to script. ?  So perhaps  TKM1996-001  ,  TKM1996-002 ,  TKM2003-004,  TKM2015-005,  TKM1999-006, etc  is going to be the best I can manage.   

I've tried a few things now using calculated fields, set fields and self-relationships, but I'm not getting the results I want.  at this point, I'm confused as to whether the field is even supposed to a TEXT, a NUMBER, or a CALCULATION should I be auto-entering in the field, or just limiting what's allowed through validation. I'm totally f&*ing confused now.   

here is an overview of what I've got going on.

As I am entering artworks (new records) into my database Art TitleArt Year are first up in the tab order. Somewhat later comes the field Art Inventory Number TKM  

I want my ID/serial number to include the letters  TKM  followed by the "Art Year" (limited to 4 digits because sometimes Art Year might be entered as something like 1999-2003) . Art Year should be (copied or looked up) from within the same record. Followed by a unique serial number 

Each work should end up with a permanent ID number-It can't change once it is written and labels are put on crates and artworks.

Can someone please explain how I can do this?      

Thanks

p.s   The one thing in particular that has me going in circles is how to restrict copying data/lookup/whatever  to the same record.   perhaps once I have the unique ID number, I will be able to set relationships to other tables, or other fields within a record based on the unique ID number.  chicken/egg.

Outcomes