5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2009 12:21 PM by philmodjunk

Unknown error in layout and preview modes - truncated width

roylerner

Title

Unknown error in layout and preview modes - truncated width

I am using FileMaker Pro 8.0v3 on a Mac OS X v 10.5.8

I have two databases set up in FileMaker. One is a catalogue of fine art paintings, and the other is an address book. The latter is the one I am having trouble with. I have a fair amount of working knowledge of the FileMaker program and have maintained our databases for over 3 years now. I did not, however, create them, and while I can create new fields I am not as good at editing existing ones (because when creating a new field or layout it walks you through all the configuration steps).

Someone completely unfamiliar with this program was working on our address book file in FileMaker, and when I went to use it I noticed that it wouldn't properly print. We were printing out standard Avery labels for shipping, and instead of it printing out 3 columns of 30 labels, it only printed the left most column and part of the middle column.

When I took a closer look at the database, I saw that every layout had the same problem when you looked at it from either the layout or preview mode: The printable area of each layout was restricted to a width of about 4 inches, despite the fact that I couldn't find any options that were changed. I had compared how the layouts were set up to an older backup file, and couldn't find a single window with different information. I presumed that this person had hit some kind of a command to change the page setup or something else, but I perused through a list of them and couldn't find one that would cause this.

I'm really not sure how to describe this problem accurately, and there were no error messages or anything and recovering the database didn't bring any issues with the file to light, so I'm including a link with a photo of what's wrong with my database. The first image is the file showing the truncated width in layout mode, and the second image is of an older backup file looking and working as it should be. (I could use the old backup, but it would involve searching out all the updated entries in the file I'm having this problem with. Hopefully there's something very simple that I missed that would fix this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated).

http://roylerner.com/FilemakerPro8v03_problem.html

-Eric Pellow

Roy Lerner Paintings 

• 1. Re: Unknown error in layout and preview modes - truncated width
          philmodjunk

Enter layout mode and select layout setup...

Click the printing tab.

You'll most likely see that print in 2 or 3 columns has been enabled and that the "down first" option is selected.

Select Across first and you should now see the labels fill in from top to bottom by row instead of left to right by column when you print or preview the layout.

With multiple column printing selected, you'll only see the first column in layout mode. Filemaker blocks off the rest of the right side of the layout as this area won't be available to you as long as you are working with a mutiple column layout.

• 2. Re: Unknown error in layout and preview modes - truncated width
            roylerner

Thank you, but that was the first thing I checked, and it was set up for 3 columns, across first. That was selected for both the old, working database file, and the recent, not working file. Changing the direction the records print in doesn't change the viewable or printable page width. I do understand what you mean when you say, "With multiple column printing selected, you'll only see the first column in layout mode. Filemaker blocks off the rest of the right side of the layout as this area won't be available to you as long as you are working with a mutiple column layout." That is why I provided a photo of the main data entry layout instead, which can't have multiple records appear per page.

This problem is the same for every layout I have set up. The ones shown in the pictures I provided a link for are of a layout that outlines every field in the database and is a full-page layout (single record per page). However, you will see that the page width is reduced to about 4 inches, and this happened to every single layout. If I print from any layout, only a 4-inch-wide column on the left side of the page will print, clipping off any other fields and text that should print. 

• 3. Re: Unknown error in layout and preview modes - truncated width
              philmodjunk

Apologies for not checking your posted example first. 

Check your setting in page set up. Any chance you have a custom page size defined? The top image suggests that printer setup is defining a narrow custom page size with 1" margins. Any chance you printed a #10 envelope recently?

• 4. Re: Unknown error in layout and preview modes - truncated width
                roylerner
                   Yep, that was it, I forgot to check the page setup in browse mode. It looks like they did try printing to a #10 envelope, and the preferences stuck. Thanks a lot.
                • 5. Re: Unknown error in layout and preview modes - truncated width
                  philmodjunk

Yes,

Filemaker retains its most recent printer settings until the user either uses print or print setup to change them or performs a script that uses restored print settings.