6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 12:24 PM by Mountain-Laurel

Unlocking File Access

Mountain-Laurel

Title

Unlocking File Access

Hi all.

I have a question about modifying files. Our facility has File Maker Pro v6.4. I am newer to the company, so I don't know anyone involved with installing the program or setting up the files, but I believe they then purchased a custom set of files for our nursing dept to use for documentation. I further believe that these files were a separate purchased product from a secondary vendor. Our company has changed names, so I need to get into the files and fix the header for each page to read our new corporate title. I've tried reaching the fellow in Connecticut whose name is on file for building the different files in the program, but his number is no longer in service and we don't know where to contact him.

So that's the back story. What I need to do is find a way to unlock the file security password so I can edit the headers and be done and in legal compliance with state regulations. Is there a product or does someone offer a service which will perform this?

And/or is there a way to copy the files off somehow and make our own which work? I am not up on File Maker Pro or what programming language it uses, though I am experienced in writing programs for TradeStation using EasyLanguage and different C variants for the Blocks program offered by the Worden Brothers.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Unlocking File Access
          blackcat795

Filemaker (the company) can offer you a service for recovery of passwords but they may require that you provide proof of ownership &/or punative rights to the files.

Not sure what they would charge you would need to ask.

However, there are password recovery solutions out there for about $50 but as this is a Filemaker forum I don't think it would be prudent to directly advertise the product as I dont believe Filemaker would agree.

HTH

Steve

• 2. Re: Unlocking File Access
            TSGal

Mountain-Laurel:

If the company has changed names, we can fix the registration.  However, we cannot unlock the file security.  You will need to track down the developer who created the password.  It probably can be done if all the necessary legal paperwork is filled out along with proof of purchase and a fee, which can be very expensive.  If you want to pursue it further, let me know, and I'll get the necessary paperwork to you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Unlocking File Access
              Mountain-Laurel

Thanks for the info. Yes, please send me any links, info or phone numbers to start the process.

xxxxxxxxx

• 4. Re: Unlocking File Access
                TSGal

Mountain-Laurel:

I have edited your last post because you publicly displayed your email address.  We take our privacy very seriously here.  This is a public forum, and there are always people out there trolling the web for email addresses.  In the future, if you want to send private information, do so through a private message.  At the top of every forum page, on the right side, you will see "X Messages".  Click that link to send a private message.

Back to the original post, I have sent your information to our Customer Assistance department, and you should receive information shortly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Unlocking File Access
                  TSGal

Mountain-Laurel:

I have just been informed that we CANNOT remove the password.  There are several legal problems with this, especially if the developer suddenly comes forward and discovers we did not have permission to change it.

Please contact me privately and let me know the name of the developer and/or company, and we'll try to track him/her down.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Unlocking File Access
                    Mountain-Laurel
                       I will get his name from our staff this week and pass it back up to you. If it helps at all, I remember that he was listed as being located in Connecticut. Possibly in Greenwich. But I'll work on getting a name.