4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 9:13 AM by db49er

Unrelated table

db49er

Title

Unrelated table

I have three tables:

Aircraft:            Registration, Type etc.

Flight:               Date, Time etc.

Passengers:    Name, Address etc.

I have related Aircraft and Flight and everything populates as desired on a layout.  I now need to select some passengers from their table and add them to the flight, keep a permanent record of that flight and forward it (probably as PDF) to a third party.  I have tried relating Passengers to Flight with the x operand and performing a find in a portal, adding another table to store the collective data......in fact I have tried all sorts of ideas but to no avail.  I know that it does not sound very complicated but I have hit a brick-wall and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Unrelated table
          philmodjunk

This looks like a many to many relationship to me. A passenger can go on many flights and a flight can list many passengers.

Start with these relationships:

Passengers-----<Passenger_Flight>-----Flights

Passengers::__pkPassengerID = Passenger_Flight::_fkPassengerID
               Flights::__pkFlightID = Passenger_Flight::_fkFlightID

You can place a portal to Passenger_Flight on the Passengers layout to list and select  Flights records for each given Passengers record. Fields from Flights can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Flights record and the _fkFlightID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Flights records by their ID field.

• 2. Re: Unrelated table
            db49er

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I am still trying to get it to work but will need a little more time.

• 3. Re: Unrelated table
              philmodjunk

Here's a demo file you may find to be a good source of ideas for working with a many to many relationship: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

If you are using FileMaker 12 or newer, use Open from FileMaker's file menu to open the file and thus produce a copy converted over to the .fmp12 file format.

• 4. Re: Unrelated table
                db49er

Thank you, most kind and very helpful.