1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 2:46 AM by Orlando

Unused items/scripts

RickWhitelaw

Title

Unused items/scripts

Hi,

I have been developing a multi-file solution for a while. Actually it's been "finished" and operating for a long time but I tinker with it often. 

Of course I've learned a lot of new techniques during this process. For example I don't currently use the OS "copy/paste" and use script parameters or variables instead. When I started writing this kind of code I had many scripts that were basically "copy this/paste that" routines and I've been eliminating these as I revise my methods. In a solution that involves six files however, it's an arduous task to discover which scripts (or fields for that matter) are actually "unused". I'm trying to "trim down" my solution and remove any unnecessary material.  The Database Design Report will produce this information, but will not reference, for example, a script in one file that is called  by a script in another file. I'm using FMP 10 Advanced. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be glad to hear it. I'm likely missing something obvious.

RW 

• 1. Re: Unused items/scripts
          Orlando

Hi RickWhitelaw

I have had similar job sin the past where I have had to clean up solutions and found this tool to be extremely helpful in doing the job

http://www.goya.com.au/baseelements

Its called BaseElements and it effectively analysis the DDR of your whole solution and places it all in a FileMaker database that cross references all the elements and makes it easy to find elements, scripts, field layouts etc that are not used. And it also finds any errors in the solution amongst a whole load of other things. 

Definitely worth getting this tool, and there is a demo available for you to try.

I hope this help.