2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 7:43 AM by JohnFox

Unusual Bug: Portal record loops don't always exit under FM client 9

JohnFox

Title

Unusual Bug: Portal record loops don't always exit under FM client 9

Hi, folks.

I've found something strange, and I'm curious if anyone else has seen it. 

We've got a very organic, very ugly FileMaker application that's accreted slowly over the years, started with server version 3, upgraded smoothly to server 5, and ultimately, upgraded in a rather bungled fashion to  server 8.

Now we're looking to move to server 9, and so we've been testing our app with version 9 of the client, and have run across a strange bug:  Looping through a set of records, and for each record related records from another table are displayed in a portal.  For each record, we loop through the contents of the portal.  In some cases, the inner loop never exits.

In scripts that have this problem, the behavior is consistent, but there are other scripts with similarly structured nested loops that do not exhibit this problem.

Oh, and because I didn't make it clear: Running the problem scripts with a version 8 client works just fine.

My feeling is that there's something screwed at a fundamental level, likely as a result of our bungled 5->8 conversion.

Sound familiar to anybody?

Thanks,

John