3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 8:51 AM by comment_1

Unusual Question: making a checkbox or radio button as a non-field entity?

SteveMND

Title

Unusual Question: making a checkbox or radio button as a non-field entity?

I use Filemaker for personal projects and such, and not any sort of business application, so my question may be a little odd.  Is there a way to create a radio button or a check box that ISN'T attached to a particular field?  i.e., just create one of the two that sits on the screen somewhere, and is purely for visual reference, and not for any calculation or data-related function?

The reason I ask is that I am creating a personal record of sorts, with each entry having an unknown number of items and a ranking of sorts.  Basically, I was hoping to just have a plain-text list of the items, one on each line, and then a series of radio buttons/checkboxes next to each line, and I could select none, 1, 2 or 3 of them for each line to provide a visual reference to me for each.  They wouln't be for any reason other than a visual record, and wouldn't be used to calculate anything, etc.

I could create a separate field for each item, and then a separate set of radio buttons/checkboxes/dropdown menu for each item in the list, but that'd be four or five unique fields for each line, and I could have dozens of lines, so that seems like far, far more work than I want to put into this project for what is essentially just a personal reference.

Having each line be it's own seperate entry in a larger database wouldn't really work either, because on each entry page I had other fields that would change from entry to entry as well.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

Steve M 

• 1. Re: Unusual Question: making a checkbox or radio button as a non-field entity?
          comment_1

If a checkbox isn't attached to a field, then where would its status (checked/unchecked) be kept?

I believe that the correct solution for a situation where each entry can have an unknown number of item is to place the items in a related table as individual records .

• 2. Re: Unusual Question: making a checkbox or radio button as a non-field entity?
            SteveMND

Okay, as I said, I'm just use Filemaker for personal, casual use, so bear with me here.  Are you talking about creating a separate file, linked to my main somehow, that had the individual variable-quantity records within it?  But would that be able to keep in sync with the main file then, and each individual record in there?  If that's the case, and it's possible, and will allow me to link it in as I'm looking for, that'd be great, and i can start researching how that works.

But basically, what I'm looking for is something for a game, where I have one Record, and it has a player's Name, Stats, what have you, and then also section for Skills.  Each player record will have a different number of skills, and they will likely all be different from one player to another.  An then I have to have a way of showing what "Rank" each Skill is at (and I was hoping for something a little more professional-looking than simply adding text at the end of each Skill name with the associated Rank).

Hence, I was hoping the program could somehow set up purely visual markers of some sort (like a radio button or three) that I could set up an undifferentiated group of them next to each line of a text box, and just manually enter the skills and then toggle the radio buttons for each skill as needed, since they would never be used in any sort of calculation or the like.

• 3. Re: Unusual Question: making a checkbox or radio button as a non-field entity?
              comment_1

SteveMND wrote:

Are you talking about creating a separate file, linked to my main somehow, that had the individual variable-quantity records within it? 

Not necessarily (unless you are using version 6 or lower).  Starting with version 7, you can have multiple tables in the same file.

SteveMND wrote:

But would that be able to keep in sync with the main file then, and each individual record in there? 

Yes, through a relationship between the tables. In your example, each player would be assigned a unique PlayerID (auto-entered serial number), and each record in the Skills table would have a corresponding PlayerID value linking it to the parent record in the Players table.

You can view each player's skills in a portal to Skills, placed on a layout of Players - even create them directly by typing into portal (provided you set the relationship to allow this).