3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 9:09 AM by philmodjunk

Unwanted background fill on layouts AFTER all parts

tobiev

Title

Unwanted background fill on layouts AFTER all parts

I am writing a Restaurant POS System, it uses a thermal slip printer. The slip printer can "sense" end of data and cut the slip. My layout contains no header as the header bit is uploaded and printed by the printer automatically. It starts with a summary part of the items on the bill, It then has a summary part to show the amount due. There is no footer.

When the two parts have NONE for fill, it fills it with a light grey, when it has White Solid as a fill, it is indeed white. 

After the last summary part ... the rest of the page is filled with light grey. This is on PDF or on printer. Surely there should be NOTHING after the last part. This causes the printer to NOT sense the end of the slip and cut and advances to the full A4 length and prints the grey background before cutting.

It is as if, when going to Preview, Print or PDF, Filemaker Pro Advanced 12's NONE FILL (ALL STYLE REMOVED) is in fact light grey and NOT nothing.

Sample PDF attached.

Can someone please help ??

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Unwanted background fill on layouts AFTER all parts
          philmodjunk

Do you get the same result when you print to a plain paper printer as a test? (That will help us know if the issue is specific to the thermal printer or not.)

• 2. Re: Unwanted background fill on layouts AFTER all parts
            tobiev

Thank you for your post.

It is printer independant. It is right there in Browse mode, Preview mode, the PDF AND when printed.

Changing the printer makes no difference to the Browse Mode, Preview Mode or PDF except  that if i set it to A4, I still get the grey block, but not all the way across the page. Only as far as what the (whatever it is called) layout active area is.

I FOUND THE PROBLEM !!!! It's the darn THEME and not the STYLE of the parts.

It is as if, when going to Preview, Print or PDF, Filemaker Pro Advanced 12's NONE FILL (ALL STYLE REMOVED) is in fact light grey and NOT nothing.

I changed theme to Basic and now all the empty space is white again and the printer senses the correct cut !

This raises a new question .... how to create or edit themes ?? Some research ... or a different post.

Phew ! Too many hours were wasted on this.... I hope this post saves someone else the time !

• 3. Re: Unwanted background fill on layouts AFTER all parts
              philmodjunk

Are you using FileMaker 12.03, if you have 12.02 or 12.01, download the free updater and see if that makes any difference.

Also see if clearing the Delineate option in Layout Setup... makes any difference.

Note that changing thems produces a small, but irreversable increase in your file size, so don't experiment with a lot of themes in your developmente copy, use a copy for testing that you then discard.