2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 1:02 PM by seanhunt

Unwanted creation of Record in Related table

seanhunt

Title

Unwanted creation of Record in Related table

I'm new to creating databases and am in the process of creating a database to handle all my photos and the sales of them. I am having an issue with creating related tables. I have a number of tables in the database and most of the relationships that I have created seem to be working okay but there is one troublesome one! I am importing information from another table and the information is appearing as i would like. The issue is that a new record is created in the original table with the primary key data entered. As you can imagine, I don't want that record to be created.  As I said i am new to this and I hope I have explained it well enough. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Sean 

• 1. Re: Unwanted creation of Record in Related table
          TSGal

seanhunt:

You said, "The issue is that a new record is created in the original table with the primary key data entered.  As you can imagine, I don't want that record to be created."

This statement has me confused.  If you don't want a new record created, how is it being created?  Through the import?  Manually?  Is it the primary key entered that is troublesome?

Can you please explain in greater detail?  That is, what is happening, should it be happening, what result would you like to see, and what were you expecting to see?  This may help me understand the problem a bit more.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Unwanted creation of Record in Related table
            seanhunt

TSGal,

Many thanks for your response. I think I have figured out what the problem was. I think it was because I had entered the primary key field from the original table in the current table instead of using the foreign key (the primary key was set up to automatically generate a new serial number. I have since made the primary key none-changeable). If I made a search using the then primary key field it was generating a new record in the original table . Now I have replaced with the foreign key the issue seems to have been resolved. I realise now that my original post was rather vague. Hopefully next time I will have a bit more knowledge so that I can make myself clearer.

Thanks again,

Sean