10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 10:47 AM by WF7A

Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal

basilisk2

Title

Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal

I've just created a PopUp menu to show a Value List lookup for a field in a Portal. All the other fields in the portal follow the formatting settings for the field control, but the PopUp menu does not: it's got a huge great black drop shadow on the bottom left and right sides.

The format control shows the Effects to be "None" not Drop Shadow, and I can't see where else to change things. I can remove it by switching off the pattern completely, but then I get no border at all and I want users to be able to see the field so they can see where to enter data.

What am I missing?

TIA

• 1. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
          LaRetta_1

We have all complained about this forever ... it goes back to vs. 5.5 and probably prior.  All you can do is set the field to transparent and place it on top of a rectangle with the formatting you wish to have.

• 2. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
            basilisk2

Many thanks for your help LaRetta, much appreciated. I suppose it's something that is still present in FM11 too? It's not what I would have expected from a company owned by Apple... well, on one hand it is (the inability to control all characteristics of a control) but on the other I can't believe their designers find a lump jumping out in a line of flat fields like that to be acceptable...!

I'll have a go with your workaround. Sounds like the best solution in the circumstances.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
              LaRetta_1

Yes, it still exists in vs. 11. 

"I can't believe their designers find a lump jumping out in a line of flat fields like that to be acceptable."

I don't believe their designers are in charge at FileMaker ... I believe that their marketing department (whose only concern is raking in profits) are the ones in charge.  I believe that their designers would love to fix the hundreds of bugs that currently exist but FMI is too focused on producing GO and new releases every 14 months to care about the quality of their product.

• 4. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
                basilisk2

OK, despite your great help, I give up. I've spent an hour trying to format just four fields to be transparent over rectangles and Filemaker just makes it too difficult which means it's incredibly slow and certainly NOT for novices. I'm not willing to give up any more time to fix a problem with Filemaker. I've reverted to a Look Up box instead. A real shame, but the PopUp menu just doesn't work as a design element.

• 5. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
                  basilisk2

I think you're right about who's in charge at FM. The design is stuck in the 1980s. I think FM11 is at least a step in the right direction, but they should take a leaf out of Apple''s iWork suite: make your product look good, be easy to use, and cater for user needs. FM can't even read a Numbers spreadsheet! Nor can it output to Pages for reports. At least, not that I have been able to find out.

The prices are IMO far too high, and the product doesn't offer enough advantages over competitor products to justify such a premium price. FM server is far too expensive for a small office to justify. Yet more and more people are moving over to Macs, but with legacy PCs still in their offices they need a cross platform solution - but not at any price.

• 6. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
                    LaRetta_1

I ususally have a layout for developer use only.  On it, I place a rectangle formatted as I have the other fields in my solution.  I then place any field on top (attach any pop-up and then set to transparent and exactly same size and location as rectangle). I then group them.

This field can now be used throughout my solution whenever I want this pop-up.  Copy and paste it anywhere.  Just double-click it to re-specify to your different table/field and re-specify to the different pop-up value list you want (either using Inspector > Data > Control Style in 11 or Field Control > Setup in prior versions). 

But yes, it should be native option to format the pop-up as other fields.  I encourage you to post it as a bug in the bug forum and to also request it as an enhancement.  The more people who speak up, the better.  Most people remain silent and then the few who really try to change things are seen as complainers and trouble-makers.  If EVERYONE complained, FMI would begin to see they need to pay more attention to fixing their work.

Bento and FM GO have nice designs ... we are stuck with radio buttons which look like a 5-year-old drew them.  OS controls should be available to us.

• 7. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
                      johnhorner

hey laretta... are you still out there?  i am encountering the same problem in FMP12 and even making the fill, text and border invisible (set to none and specify the color that is "none"... the box with the diagonal separation, half white, half black) does not seem to remove the drop shadow... am i doing somehting wrong?  any other thoughts on how to get rid of this?  thanks!

• 8. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
                        user13640

I accidentally discovered that if you use the format painter to copy formatting from a non pop-up field and paste to a pop-up field, the ugly drop shadow goes away. This is in FileMaker 12. Earlier versions, I have been successful setting the line to transparent from the pattern options.

• 9. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
                          user13640

Furthermore, in FileMaker 12, you set the In Focus formatting to have transparent borders, so even when clicking on the pop up menu, you cannot see the field outline beneath.

• 10. Re: Unwanted drop shadow on Pop Up menu in FM10 portal
                            WF7A

MIke, in FileMaker Pro Advanced v.12 (Mac), I nulled the formatting attributes for the Focus value and can't set the borders to transparent. Is there a trick to that?

BTW, the hint to copy and paste the formatting from an unformatted field to a pop-up menu to get rid of its drop shadow worked like a charm--thanks!