5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 10:37 AM by philmodjunk

Unwanted page break in sub-summary printouts

NaturSalus

Title

Unwanted page break in sub-summary printouts

Hello,

Never before I had run into this with FM 11 v3, but since I am a novice concerning FM12 v4 maybe there is a setting I am unaware of.

I have a Report layout with a header, 3 sub-summary parts, a body and a footer part.

The sub-summary parts are the following:

Sub-summary by FoodCategory (Leading) with the FoodCategory field 

Sub-summary by FoodSubCategory (Leading) with the FoodSubCategory field 

Sub-summary by FoodName(Leading) with the FoodName field 

In Browse mode the report looks as it should; everything is shown in the right order in consecutive pages. Howver, both in Preview mode or when I actually get the print out, the contents of the sub-summary fields are not shown as expected.

On the first page it is shown the contents of the FoodCategory and  FoodSubCategory fields and nothing else so there is a page break (why?).

On the second page  it is shown the contents of the FoodName field and nothing else so there is a page break (why?).

Finally, starting from page three it is shown correctly the contents of the Body part of the Report layout.

I have played removing for instance the FoodName(Leading) sub-summary part with the FoodName field and what I get is:

On the first page it is shown the contents of the FoodCategory field and nothing else so there is a page break (why?).

On the second page it is shown the contents of the FoodSubCategory fields and nothing else so there is a page break (why?).

I am pretty sure that the FoodCategory,  FoodSubCategory and FoodName fields are inside its Report layout part.

Any clues what is going on?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Unwanted page break in sub-summary printouts
          philmodjunk

This is the same in FileMaker 11 and 12.

Apparently, the total space one the pages "printable area"--as determined by printer driver, page size, page orientation and the margin settings in layout setup, is such that the space required for the first part of your report is resulting in a page break where you have found it.

This can also be affected by any page break settings specified for one of your layout parts. (If you think this is a factor, double click the layout part labels to open part set up and check for settings such as "page break after every [1] occurrence...")

• 2. Re: Unwanted page break in sub-summary printouts
            NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

Thanks for looking into my question.

This can also be affected by any page break settings specified for one of your layout parts. (If you think this is a factor, double click the layout part labels to open part set up and check for settings such as "page break after every [1] occurrence...")

This is one of the first things I checked. There are no page breaks in any part of the Report layout.

Apparently, the total space one the pages "printable area"--as determined by printer driver, page size, page orientation and the margin settings in layout setup, is such that the space required for the first part of your report is resulting in a page break where you have found it.

At least now I understand the "theoretical" why I am having this issue. After making sure that everything is well inside the layout parts I can say this doesn't seem to be my case.

In Default view: Form View

In Printing tab: nothing selected (no fixed margins)

I know that it is not related with my issue, but it looks perfect on browse mode!

Something that I couldn't  see was causing all my troubles because after starting anew step by setp things work as expected, so far.

I forgot the number one rule of troubleshooting FM projects: If it doesn't work, delete it and redo it.

• 3. Re: Unwanted page break in sub-summary printouts
              philmodjunk

After making sure that everything is well inside the layout parts

I'm afraid that this misses my point. It appears that the total size of all the layout parts on your first page is forcing a page break where you don't want it by exceeding the "printable area" possible for your combination of page margins, page size, page orientation and printer. The part triggering the page break could be as little as 1 pixel too tall to fit with the preceding parts within that area.

Do you prohibit parts splitting across page breaks? Such a setting would make the results that you are seeing much more likely.

• 4. Re: Unwanted page break in sub-summary printouts
                NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

I must say theat before asking any question I have been playing around trying to fix it for quite a long time.

I haven't been able to make it work but I decided to give up. Sometimes it is as annoying for me to ask "weird" questions as it must be for you trying to make sense and answering them.

I would say that I have tried everything I could think of but to no avail. So I decided to keep the 3 sub-summary parts but without any fields ( so the 3 sub-summary parts are empty) and then colapsed them. And then put the fields of the three sub-summary parts at the beginning of the body part. This way, I was getting the desired sorting carried out by the sub-summary parts and I was able to have their fields stack as well as the content of the body part.

This is what I found: If I create the 3 sub-summary parts (each with one field in it) and on the body part I just put a simple field, everything looks okay:

field of sub-submary part 1

field of sub-submary part 2

field of sub-submary part 3

field of body part

But, as soon as I add another field to the body part, I get the splitting pattern that I have described at the beginning of this post.

To me very confusing, but I am getting used after dealing with FMI products. But after 7 days of trying everything I could think of without any success I simply gave up and put my energy in more rewarding tasks. 

Do you prohibit parts splitting across page breaks? Such a setting would make the results that you are seeing much more likely.

Sorry but don't understand. To do that what would be setting and where

Thanks

• 5. Re: Unwanted page break in sub-summary printouts
                  philmodjunk

This is a setting in Part Setp--same place where a developer can specify a page break before/after x occurrences of that part...