I did some testing with my fully updated XP system. I got it to work sort of, but something strange is going on here...
I copied the symbol up arrow (code 173) from Word to filemaker and noticed that it was invisible. Then I checked the font name for this symbol and saw it's font name listed as "Ming Liu" instead of symbol. Once I used Configure/More Fonts to add the symbol font. I was able to select the text and specify the symbol font instead of "Ming Liu" and it displayed correctly.
However, even after adding the font, pasted up arrow characters were shown as from the "Ming Liu" font and were invisible unless I then specifically selected "Symbol" from the font menu while also holding down the ctrl and shift keys. (Sometimes I got an error message telling me I could hold down these keys to override the font change and sometimes I did not.)
Thanks for the reply.
I had to do the same thing aswell, hold down ctrl and shift keys to force it to use symbol. The issue is not with displaying the up arrow, on screen the document looks fine, it;s just printing them.
If I print to a printer or to pdf, I get the same problem. That actually helps, cause if I print to pdf when testing I was not using up all my paper.
Another point, this also occurs on Windows 7, the problem there is that there is no KB958869 to uninstall, that update must be built into Windows 7, so at the moment, I have no way of fixing it.
Thank you for your posts and narrowing down the problem. I have forwarded the information, along with the comments from PhilModJunk to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation. When more information becomes available, I will let you know.
Are you able to print the up arrow using a different font? I would like to get a tentative workaround (if possible).
I think we can using a diferent font, but the workload required to change the font would be massive.
The arrows are used for showing the childrens progress, up, right and down. The data on the children is then archived to their profile, the profile covers the whole time they are at the school and therefore we would have to go back years and changed all the fields in years of layouts. To give you an example, the profile database has over 3000 fields and that is only one of 8 databases, all linked.
Sorry for the late reply.
Our Testing department has verified the problem and it has been sent to our Development department and it is still under investigation.
From the test results, there is no mention of a workaround. Let me know if you find a font that will display and print an up-arrow character.