4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 7:35 AM by AndrewClancy

Update a popup menu when the value list is?

AndrewClancy

Title

Update a popup menu when the value list is?

I've configured several fields to be popup menus that utilize text fields from another table as the value list, but when I change one of the fields the value list is based on, it doesn't effect the field itself. I doubt this is a glitch, but am rather surprised to say I haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar issue to overcome. If anyone knows what's wrong, or perhaps just a better way to set it up, I'd appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Update a popup menu when the value list is?
          philmodjunk

So if you have a value list with a "use values from field" value list with records that supply the values: "Apple"; "Kiwi"; "Pear", and you select "Apple" in a field in a different table using this value list, you want the value in this field to change to "Strawberry" if you change the text in the values table to "Strawberry" instead of "Apple"? (Or to have it change to "Apples" if you change the value record to "Apples"?).

That's not how Filemaker is designed to work and that result would not be a desirable thing in many cases. This sounds like a case where it would be better to use a two field value list where the first field's value is an ID such as a serial number and the second field is a name field with data such as "Apple" ; "Kiwi"..... Then editing this second field can result in an automatic update of the displayed name for that same ID.

• 2. Re: Update a popup menu when the value list is?
            hbrendel

Very undesirable. IMHO valuelists are a data input facility. Those valuelists can change, but the history of earlier entered data should not be changed. If they should, there are other methods.

• 3. Re: Update a popup menu when the value list is?
              philmodjunk

Then I'm afraid that you misunderstand me.

If you have a value table with three records:

Apple
              Kiwi
              Pear

and you change "Apple" to "Strawberry" in the first record, your value list DOES update to list Kiwi, Strawberry, Pear. This will happen automatically.

But the DATA previously selected in your other table does NOT automatically change.

So if you are not seeing your value list update as expected, perhaps there is more than one record with the same value in the table being used as the source of values for your value list. That may not be the reason, I am guessing. But some other issue must be involved as you are not describing typical behavior for a "use values from field" value list.

• 4. Re: Update a popup menu when the value list is?
                AndrewClancy

Thanks for the help as always, PhilModJunk.