5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 11:57 AM by user14673

update application, keep data?

user14673

Title

update application, keep data?

I have an application that's functional and I would like to start someone on data entry while I develop further.
      How do I update the application after? Importing the filled databases  into the updated application or saving the updated scripts and screens  to the filled databases? Is there any build in assistance for this?

Thanks
      Stefan
      FM Pro11 Adv.

• 1. Re: update application, keep data?
          philmodjunk

Here's a link to a thread that also discusses these issues:

Database versioning

• 2. Re: update application, keep data?
            user14673

I found some other links also, I was hoping for a somewhat user-friendlier answer :)

Thanks

Stefan

• 3. Re: update application, keep data?
              user14673

It looks like I should seperate my interface files and data files. But by now I have 48 tables in my application with many more TOs and relationships. So I looked if I could copy the whole file and relink the interface from one application to the databases of the other. While I can import the other "external" databases, that leaves me without relations and the existing application remains on the "original" databases with all the layouts linked to the wrong (original) files.

Is there a good way of seperating the two, or do I have to start back from scratch, which would be discouraging afer this much work.

Or,... Keeping both data and interface in one file, can any one get me going on a script that would allow the data-update from the "old" file? I hear its all about "copy all data from old file to new file" and "update the counters for automatic field entry". Any more pittfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Stefan

• 4. Re: update application, keep data?
                philmodjunk

Please drill down from the link I provided earlier. There's a link in that post that takes you step by step through the process of converting a single file solution into a split "data separation" type system. It's done by making a copy of your file and then modifying one copy to refer to the tables in the other. Since you work from a copy, you still have all the relationships intact in both files until/unless you decide to modify those relationships--which is often a good idea.

• 5. Re: update application, keep data?
                  user14673
                  I see a few remarks about lost speed. Considering everything else equal, working on a server from 2 files "Application" and "Data" vs my now "All-in" version is it really slower splitting them up? Thanks Phil, great information! Stefan