AnsweredAssumed Answered

Update container via related table

Question asked by AllanAlbrecht on Apr 28, 2012
Latest reply on May 1, 2012 by AllanAlbrecht

Title

Update container via related table

This is my first post and I stand up proud as a newbie to FM. My past experience has been Dbase, FoxPro, and others.

1. Two tables: Job table which includes a status field (text) and others. Status lookup table includes status (text) and container (graphic). The graphic is simply a colored square (a visual indicator for form layout).

2. The two tables are related via the status field.

CONCEPT

The user is editing the Job details in a form. He selects the desired status via a dropdown list. When that status value is changed, an indicator next to the Job title on the form changes to give the user a quick visual clue as to the jobs status (green, orange, red).

PROBLEM

I set up the form to display the jobs table and the dropdown for the status field, that works (straight forward).

But how do I have it update the indicator (immedaitely...prior to forced save)?

I thought I would have to bring the container field from the lookup table onto the form, but can't find how to do that.

I really don't want to create another field in the job for a container as that would be redundant data on the record.

I also thought I could do a calculated container field on the job table , but can't figure out how to get it to update automatically when the user changes the status value.

Any help would be appriecated!

Allan

Outcomes