4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 12:04 PM by schamblee

Update for database

johnw54

Title

Update for database

I've put a button on a layout that links to my updated database up on dropbox. Because my original database is still opened on my IPAD when I download the new version it gets installed with a 1 after it or 2 if I've download twice.  So my question is this... is there a way to press the button to update on the app on the IPAD to get to the link.... then automatically close and Remove the app from the ipad so the new downloaded version will just be imported with the correct filename.

• 1. Re: Update for database
          schamblee

No you cant have a button in the app you updating to close and remove it self.   You would have to have a seperate update database.   You didn't give any detaila on your update process, so I can't make any recommendation.

• 2. Re: Update for database
            johnw54

The update process is simply downloading the new database from dropbox and "open in" Filemaker Go.  The update simply replaces the existing database.  If the old app is still on the ipad the replacement DB has a -1.  The Appmaker Icon won't find it because its not looking for -1.  Perhaps the easy answer is for the user to delete the app and I'll send everyone an email with a link to dropbox.  I just thought it might be more convenient to be able to update from within the app.  Any thoughts.

• 3. Re: Update for database
              philmodjunk

Generally speaking, the posts on this concept I've seen describe using iTunes to copy over the updated file--and this is a manual process not something automated from within FileMaker.

• 4. Re: Update for database
                schamblee

You can use dropbox to copy over the updated file, but as Phil has stated it's a manual process. The user would need to delete the old app first, if you don't want the number append to the end of the filename.