7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 6:03 AM by philmodjunk

Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)

RosieUnderwood

Title

Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)

Please could you define what a matching field is- I am currently trying to explore and get to grips with filemaker and looking at matching records in existing table, and it either brings up the error saying: at least one set of matching fields must be specified. But then if I make it so the arrow is both ways i.e. match records based on this field it says no fields were chosen for import?

• 1. Re: Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)
          philmodjunk

From the context, I must assume that you are trying to import records with the "Update Matching Records in Found Set" option. (Matching fields in a relationship are a whole different subject as is the "Find Matching Records" menu action.)

When the dialog appears for selecting this option and mapping fields in the source table to specify into what fields in the target table their data will be copied. You can click the arrow between a pair of mapped fields to make them a pair of matching fields if you have selected the above import option in the lower left corner of your dialog box.

If you set up: Name = Customer Name as your pair of match fields, then if the value of Name of your source table/file matches a record in your target table's found set, then the data from that record in the source table/file will be copied into the mapped fields you specify. If there is no record in the target table's found set with a customerName that matches, either the data is not imported or it is imported as a new record (if you selected that option).

Note the key qualifier here: "In the target table's found set". The most common source of trouble with this type of import is that people forget the fact that the only records used in the matching are those in the target table's found set. Since you often want to match records against all the records in the table, you frequently need to do a Show All Records on a layout based on the target table before you import the records to be sure that all records are in the target table's found set.

And this brings up another complication here: On Manage | Database | Relationships, you can have many "boxes" (called Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?) for the same table. Each will have it's own found set. When you select a "target table" you are actually picking from a list of table occurrences. In this situation where the found set is key to what results you get, you need to be careful to specify a target table occurrence that is the same table occurrence for the layout where you did the show all records or you may find that you are still working with found set that does not consist of all records in your found set.

• 2. Re: Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)
            RosieUnderwood

Hi okay thanks:

Ive attached four screenshots- I have devised my own database just to practice on but if I click update matching records in found set and have match records based on this field between name and customer name (screenshot one), it comes up with no fields were selected for import (screenshot two)

However if I just set the arrow to be import this field between name and customer name (screenshot three) then it says at least one pair of matching fields must be specified (screen shot four)- please could you explain this?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)
              RosieUnderwood
              /files/34fe4d70f7/Screen_Shot_2014-02-21_at_08.50.37.png 635x509
              • 4. Re: Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)
                RosieUnderwood
                /files/93799f4cc5/Screen_Shot_2014-02-21_at_08.50.45.png 631x507
                • 5. Re: Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)
                  RosieUnderwood
                  /files/b68f1491e4/Screen_Shot_2014-02-21_at_08.57.19.png 644x508
                  • 6. Re: Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)
                    RosieUnderwood
                    /files/54cde4824c/Screen_Shot_2014-02-21_at_08.57.31.png 634x507
                    • 7. Re: Update Matching Records in Existing Table (beginner)
                      philmodjunk

Note the ".." for all if the field pairs except the Names to Customer Names pair. You don't have any other fields selected for this import. If you turn the Names to Customer Names pair into your matching fields pair and leave the other fields as shown, there is no data to import. (The matching fields already have the same data and you aren't importing anything else.) You need to click the ".." of at least one other pair of fields to turn it into an arrow so that you import updating data from the field of a selected source table into the field of the selected target table.