5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 3:16 PM by HalPridgen

Update or save changes to a container field file

KristinaSnyder

Title

Update or save changes to a container field file

Am I missing something? I love the new container field upgrades but want to be able to insert a file (specifically a xls or word file) into a container field and allow end-users to open and modify the file and then save the new file to the container field.  Thus far my changes are not saved, Is this possible?

My concern is that cients will open and modify the file thinking that changes are saved when they are not being saved. Any advice welcome, I may just be missing this as I have only recently started working with FM12....

Thanks ~K

FM12 Adv/ Mac OS 10.6.8

• 1. Re: Update or save changes to a container field file
          davidanders

Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files

Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
          Issue report posted July 5, 2012 by greenex
          134 Views, 5 Comments
          Summary:  Double clicking in container fields no longer opens files
          Product:  FileMaker Pro
          Version:  12
          Operating system version:  Windows 7, Server 2008, OS X Lion
          Description of the issue:  Filemaker 12 does not allow files stored in containers to be opened by double clicking the file.
                         Steps to reproduce the problem:
                         Upgraded databases from V11 to V12 and none of our many (very many) container fields open by double clicking the file stored inside. Also, new databases created using V12 do not support double clicking files stored inside containers.
          Expected result: I expected files stored inside of container fields to open when double clicking the file. This is how it worked in V11. We expected to have additional functionality when upgrading to V12, not less functionality.
          Actual result:  Files stored in containers no longer open when double clicking the file. Apparently this feature has been removed.
          Configuration information:  Our databases are very dependent on using lots of container fields. We must have the ability to double click a file stored in a container field and open it directly, not exporting to our desktops and opening it from our computers. This takes way too much time and adds too much work for the number of container fields we use. The interactive PDF containers are nice, but we also use pictures, Word, Excel, and many other file types.

http://www.dbservices.com/articles/filemaker-12-managing-container-data
          FileMaker 12 Managing Container Data

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10244/~/storing-container-field-data-externally
          Storing container field data externally
          Answer ID: 10244Last Updated: Apr 04, 2012

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10245/~/interactive-content-and-other-enhancements-for-container-fields
          Interactive content and other enhancements for container fields
          Answer ID: 10245Last Updated: Apr 04, 2012

• 2. Re: Update or save changes to a container field file
            philmodjunk

Please note that double clicking in container fields still works, but only with specific insertion method, storage and interface options specified for the container field. This is true for both Filemaker 11 and 12, but in 12 all of the new options also cannot open a file with a double-click.

If you can set up a container field for them to open with a double click--this would be say a container field where insert file with "store a reference" was specified and which has NOT been optimized for interactive content, then they can open, edit and save the file and changes will be retained--as they always have been.

If you find you have to use Export Field Contents to open the file, then you have a problem. It is posible to use a variable to specify the filename and location to which you export the file when you opened it. Then a second script--attached to a "save changes" button on the layout, could use this same variable to re-insert the file from the location to which it was imported. If you get really cute with your interface design, it might even be possible to automate this so that the user never has to remember to click "Save" to save their edits.

• 3. Re: Update or save changes to a container field file
              HalPridgen

PhilModJunk: If you find you have to use Export Field Contents to open the file, then you have a problem

Is it a problem with the setup of the container/field options, or is it a problem that needs a script?  I like to double click on an icon to open a .pdf  with Adobe Reader, but I am having difficulty geting this to work right;  my container fields are in a portal.

• 4. Re: Update or save changes to a container field file
                philmodjunk

The problem that I am referring to is the one you have mentioned in your original post--changes made while the file is opened are saved back to the copy created by the export field contents step and thus are not "saved" with the original copy in the container field.

I like to double click on an icon to open a .pdf  with Adobe Reader, but I am having difficulty geting this to work right;  my container fields are in a portal.

What storage option did you select for the field? What insertion option did you use? Did you select "store a reference" when inserting the file?

And note that interactive optimization doesn't work for container fields inside a portal row.

• 5. Re: Update or save changes to a container field file
                  HalPridgen

Thanks Phil,

I see from your reply that I incorrectly piggy-backed on someone else's post.  If I can't get my answer from some of your other discussions about the topic, I'll repost with more details.