2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 8:09 PM by TKnTexas

Update via Import

TKnTexas

Title

Update via Import

I am using a Filemaker Pro 13 runtime on Windows7.  I took several Excel worksheets and built tables for each into a single file.  It simplifies my accessing these throughout the day.  The problem I am having is the check register history.  

This is imported from XLSX file.  Last Friday I did the initial load via import.  This morning I imported new additions.  There could be changes to rows on older checks, i.e. Date Signed, Date Mailed and how it was distributed (mailed, UPS, or hand delivered).  There are two of us that update this worksheet.  

When I imported I changed the check number to the proper symbol for it being the key field.  I selected UPDATE MATCHING RECORDS IN FOUND SET.  I also check ADD REMAINING DATA RECORDS (for the new checks added to the spreadsheet).

What I got was duplicate records.  So I deleted all records, and imported all from scratch.  But I do not want to do this.  I want to import and UPDATE/ADD.  I have no clue what I am doing wrong.

• 1. Re: Update via Import
          philmodjunk

IN FOUND SET.

Is probably the cause of the duplication. The matching is only done against the records that are in the target table's found set. So make sure to do a "show all records" on a layout based on the target table occurrence before doing the next import.

• 2. Re: Update via Import
            TKnTexas

I found the error.  The headers of the data are on row 2, not one.  I saved a copy to my desktop, deleting that 1st row.   The original had 3 new rows and about 25 updated rows.  I worked.  :)