3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2012 10:49 AM by philmodjunk

Updated data

Kaorin

Title

Updated data & information unrecorded on FM12 saved on network

I updated some information in text & number fields in the evening at work, and in the morning retun to work "some" of the things (I can't guarantee "everything") that I updated hadn't been recorded / replaced with new information. Luckly I had printed out before I looged out in the evning, but now I am having to check which ones have been / haven't been replaced with new info.

FYI, all files are set up to save as I type in the information.

I set up these files so there are date fields of updated date and text fields that records the last modified users. When I checked, it didn't show my name nor the date I actually updated - why????

Just to explain the circumstance of where my files are saved: My IT tema is yet to install FM Server on our system, so currently these FM12 files are being saved on our (window based?) shared network, so anyone on the netwrok can access them regardless of the system use (I use Mac, other use PC).

I also have copied filemaker 12 files (same set up but for different issue) on my Mac desktop, but these are consistent and I never experienced loosing or information being un-updated.

Can someone suggest what might have cuase the problem? It's quite scary as I and the team relying on the information on files.

Could it be netwrok "updated" my IT team is running may affect something?

• 1. Re: Updated data & information unrecorded on FM12 saved on network
          philmodjunk

FYI, all files are set up to save as I type in the information.

What do you mean by that? All FileMaker database files save data automatically. THe only difference is whether FileMaker asks whether or not to save when you do something that will cause the data to be committed.

these FM12 files are being saved on our (window based?) shared network, so anyone on the netwrok can access them regardless of the system use (I use Mac, other use PC).

That sounds like a dangerous way to save your data. If two different users attempt to access the file at the same time, the file could be damaged. Files should be opened on the server by FileMaker Pro or FileMaker server and then each user uses Open Remote to access the file.

I can think of two possible explanations that fit the case where changes you have made do not appear in the database when you access it at a later date:

1) The file has been replaced with an older copy

2) There is more than one copy of the file and you have opened a different copy than the one in which you previously edited data.

• 2. Re: Updated data & information unrecorded on FM12 saved on network
            Kaorin

Hi PhilModjunk,

Thank you for the fast comments to my post.

Sorry, my writing was misleading. Yes, basically I set it up so that the the Filemaker will not ask to save or not when clothing the files.

In order to use Open Remote to access files, there need to be a "host"  machine - correct? So, someone needs to open one of the files directly (??) first in order to be the host and that the rest of people have access via Open Reomote..is that right? (or am I isunderstanding the fundamental instruction...?)

Also, at the moment there are only 2 users and neither of us will access the same files (or related files) at the same time because of the danger as you described. But as soon as the FM Server is ready to be set up by the IT team, there will be up to 15 users accessing the files.

Form the possible cuases you described (1) and (2) - how would these problem can be cuased? Nothing to do with synchronisation..?

I have "back up" of these files also saved in the smae shared netwrok but in the different folder, though using the same titles - would this confuse the filemaker files? (the back up files and the working files haveing the exactly same titles?)

Also in order to update the "back up files", I simply drag the working files (when the application is completely quitted) and replace - is this a bad way of updating my "back up" files?

Thank you.

Kaorin

• 3. Re: Updated data & information unrecorded on FM12 saved on network
              philmodjunk

In order to use Open Remote to access files, there need to be a "host"  machine - correct?

Yes, but I only described the most obvious risk. When opening the file as a "remote host" you get a warning message telling you that this is not a good idea. Not only will your system be much slower, if a network glitch happens at just the wrong time while you are making design changes to your file, this can also damage the file.

Also, at the moment there are only 2 users and neither of us will access the same files (or related files) at the same time

That will be difficult to guarantee--even if you and the other user work at computers within sight and sound of each other--there's no built in way to ensure that you aren't both attempting to open the file over the network at the same time.

how would these problem can be cuased? ... I simply drag the working files (when the application is completely quitted) and replace

I can only speculate and these aren't the only possible scenarios, but if you accidentally dragged the backup copy to the working copy and replaced instead of the opposite, it would reproduce what you describe in this thread. The other possibility would be to accidentally open and use the backup instead of the working copy, this would be a user error--not a case of FileMaker accidentally opening the wrong file, but once you have opened a backup copy in it's directory, it could be very easy to open it from recent items and not notice that you are opening the wrong copy of the file.

Sequential backups that save to unique file names each time give you bettter backups and the change in file name makes it more obvious whether you have the working copy or a backup open. This thread describes saving a back up copy every 15 minutes--a good idea for a file being developed, but it can be adapted to save on a much longer interval or each time you close the file instead of using a "timer": Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development