AnsweredAssumed Answered

Updating a file via a script

Question asked by BrianWilliams on Sep 21, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Updating a file via a script

Hi all, I am in the process of creating a membership database.  We download membership applications and renewals from an online registration service in Excel format.  I would like to know if it is possible via script to update a table based on data imported from this spreadsheet.  I have read about settng up recurring imports, but I would like to verify the incomming data in a script, running exception reports afterward.  I'm not sure I want to directly update my main table from the import, so I'm thinking importing to a temp table.  The main table wil have an exclusive key - email address, so the script would have to read the temp table with the imported data and find the email address in the main table, and if found do updates to fields like expiration date, update other tables with the membership table key, send an email, etc.  If not found, it would need to create the membership record.  And along the way set a validation flag if the import data is somehow incorrect - amount paid does not equal the membership cost, etc.  I could set up reports to show the flagged records easily.  Can this type of processing be acomplished in FileMaker 11 Pro?  If so, can you point me to some referencees?  The book I purchased - "The Missing Manual" does not seem to cover this....

Thank you

Outcomes