10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2009 9:52 AM by philmodjunk

updating password

QUATC

Title

updating password

i just recently have been able to recover and convert my filemaker 5 files to filemaker 10 compatability. I had to remove my passwords in order to do that. how do i know go back and add the passwords back to the files? I've gone to File, Manage, Passwords, and then it asks me to enter the acct name and old password. I have done so with every old password that we have ever used and I have not been able to get it take. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: updating password
          philmodjunk
             When you create a new account name and password. The system will ask you for a "full access" acount name and password to show that you have permission to make this change. If the new password that you've just created is a full access password, simply enter that new account name and password.
          • 2. Re: updating password
            QUATC

i have not been asked to create a new account name and/or password. where do I go to do this? when i deleted the original passwords the files were still done in the fm 5 version.

• 3. Re: updating password
              philmodjunk

I assumed that you'd used Manage | Accounts & Privileges to create a new password and where then getting the password dialog after creating or editing an account name and/or password.

Let's back up. Spell out exactly what you did and what you see on the screen when this password appears.

• 4. Re: updating password
                QUATC

Before converting my files from version 5 to version 10..I went to the passwords area of version 5 and deleted all the passwords. Then I converted my files from version 5 to version 10.

Once in version 10, i wanted to add the passwords back. I went to File/Change Passwords. i get a box that says "use these fields to change the password on your filemaker accounts. It says to enter your old password once, and new password twice." It has the account name already established as "Admin". It doesn't provide any opportunity to change the account name.

When I try going through Manage/Accounts & Privileges..I see a guest account and an admin account. When I try to select the admin account to edit the name I get a message that says.."there is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation. Create additonal space and try again." I am not working from the disc and my IT services at my institution has told me that I should have enough space for this application to occur.

• 5. Re: updating password
                  philmodjunk

"there is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation...."

Your file may be corrupted and it may be badly corrupted. Try recovering the file.

Your converted file comes with a full access account, Admin, but with no password assigned.

You can try leaving "Old Password" blank and then double enter the new password. The above error message, however, suggests you may have something seriously wrong with your file.

• 6. Re: updating password
                    QUATC
                       I have tried what you listed for me to do and it still gives me the same message "there is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation...". The program will not even let me delete all of my records to start over. What should I do now?
                    • 7. Re: updating password
                      TSGal

QUATC:

Thank you for your post.

It appears your file is badly damaged.  Recover is not a cure-all solution, as it will try its best to make the file usable.  If this still doesn't work, then export your data to text files, create a new database file, import the data from the text files, and then copy and paste layouts from your old database into the new database.

In the new database file, you can pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Accounts & Privileges..." where you can then set up your accounts and passwords.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: updating password
                        QUATC

I have exported my data and saved it as a text file. I created a new database and when I go to import my text file it takes me to a screen for setting up fields. How do I import my text into the field properly and then how do I cut and paste my old layout into the new database?

I didn't create the old database but I like how everything is connected (meaning I can input information on one screen and it automatically fills the same information in on several other screens). how do I import everything to the new database and keep this same functionality/

• 9. Re: updating password
                          TSGal

QUATC:

Thank you for the additional information.

In your new database file, either create the fields from the old database file, or you do have the option in the import dialog box to set the "Target" (top of the dialog box) to a new table.  The fields will be marked as a default f1, f2, .... fn.  You can then change the field names and field types afterwards.

Copying your layouts take a little more time.  In the old database, go into Layout Mode (from the View menu), pull down the View menu and select "Object Info", and take the measurements of the Header, Body, and Footer (along with any other parts).  In the new database, create a blank layout with and set the measurements for the parts identical to the old database layout.  Then, you can return to the old layout, select all and copy, switch to the new layout and paste.  You may have to use the arrow keys to move the objects around to the precise location.  One trick I have found useful is to use the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle on the layout of the old database file.  Put that rectangle in the upper left corner of the layout.  Then, when you copy and paste into the new layout, you can use the arrow keys to move all objects until the rectangle is in the upper left corner.  Then, you can delete the rectangle when finished.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: updating password
                            philmodjunk

When copying and pasting layouts from one file to another watch for the following "gotchas":

1. The specfied table for both layouts should have exactly the same name.
                            2. All referenced fields should have exactly the same names.
                            3. Any value lists (check boxes, radio buttons, drop downs, pop-ups) should be recreated in the new file first, before you paste in your layout and these value lists must also have exactly the same names as found in the original file.
                            4. If you have buttons that peform scripts, you will need to either import your scripts before pasting your layout objects, delete and re-paste them after import or manually re-connect each button to the proper script. (Since scripts may contain layout references and layouts may contain script references, it can sometimes be a challenge to determine whether you should import scripts before or after copy-pasting your layout.)