3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 5:42 PM by PhilLanzisera

Updating records

PhilLanzisera

Title

Updating records

I have data from surveymonkey. If someone selected an option, a number appears in that field. If the person didn't select that option, the field is blank. Unfortunately what surveymonkey puts in the field is not all that useful. So, I want to change it. I was going to do a find/replace. I have to select a field. I highlighted the target field in browse mode, but that didn't do it. I was able to create a new field that is calculated on the basis of a test for the field value not being "". I tried a script that loops through the file testing if the field has a value or is blank. Unfortunately no matter how I write the test, every record is changed to the "else" portion of the test. So, I am lost. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Updating records
          ninja

Howdy Phil,

Just to make sure... you have tried:   ?

Table1::FieldB....Field type set to calculation.... storage = unstored

said calculation defined as:

If ( Table1::fieldA = "" ; "" ; "textyouwant")

And you have verified that the "blank" fields are actually blank rather than simply looking blank (highlight entire contents and hit the delete key to make sure) ?

And fieldB always comes up saying "textyouwant" ?

• 2. Re: Updating records
            Ender

Ninja wrote:

Table1::FieldB....Field type set to calculation.... storage = unstored

said calculation defined as:

If ( Table1::fieldA = "" ; "" ; "textyouwant")

I'd not do the unstored part, if this is going to be searched on.  Maybe use if(isempt(Table1::fieldA); "textyouwant")

Or heck, I'd just find those blank values (Find for =), then stick a value in them (like "Not Answered",) using a Replace.

• 3. Re: Updating records
              PhilLanzisera
                 Thank you. These were helpful