I'd take a careful look at all the options you are selecting during the import.
Import records will not delete any records. However, the process might overwrite existing records with new data--creating the appearance that pre-existing records were deleted--if the wrong options were set up.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried various options and all seem to lead to the records in the target table that are not matched in source table being deleted. ???
Perhaps you could spell out step by step which options you selected and then describe the results? Maybe that'll reveal the issue.
Thanks again so much for your time on this. Here is what I am doing
1.File - Import Records - File
2. Open the file on my desk top, it is an Excel WB file with four fields
3.I set the matching field to be Stock symbol in each table
4. I set the arrow marker to input the share price, it is called "sh. price" in one table and "last price" in the other
5.I check the bullet "Update Matching records in found set"
6. Also select "Arrange by Last Order"
The result is that every target table record for which "sh. price" data is included in the source data table, updates correctly, but all the records for not included in the source table are deleted in the target table.
I tried to reproduce your steps and here's what I encountered:
1) Created a simple three line excel Spread sheet:
2) Created a test DB with 3 records
I then tried to use your steps to perform an update import
I clicked the arrow between the "Fruit" field and "orange", to change it to an "="
I selected "update matching records in found set".
I clicked import.
I got a found set of 2 records (Kiwi and Orange) with correctly updated values. I still had my "cherry" record, however. It just wasn't part of the found set. If I select "Show all records" from the records menu, my unmatching record appears with it's number field unchanged.
The unmatched record may have appeared to be deleted, but it was still present in the database.
If, when first setting up this import, I try to select "Arrange by: Last Order", my field mapping settings that selected a matching field are lost and I have to reselect the match field or the import won't work the way we want it to.
You did it for me. What was happening was that after the import the program seems to consider the records updated with new data as a found set, and the others "disappear". I feel a little stupid I didn't find this myself, but thanks again.
What would have been "stupid" would have been to give up with the problem unresolved.
Instead, you persisted with me until we got it figured out and you gained a better understanding of how imports work in filemaker. Nothing stupid about that. :smileywink:
you are competent and Kind Phil :)