0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 9:24 AM by DanRobinson

Updating the Location of Pictures

DanRobinson

Title

Updating the Location of Pictures

I have a FileMaker database that contains information on several hundred people, including photos of most of them. Rather than storing the photos directly in the database, I store only references, with the actual photos being stored in a folder on my hard drive.

So here's my issue. I'm backing up the database to a CD, and I want the backup copy to be fully functional when I boot up the CD on another computer. The trouble is, all the references to the picture files point to the location on my hard drive.

What I'd like to do is fairly simple: copy the folder containing all the picture files to my backup CD, then change all the picture references in the database so that they point to the pictures' new location on the CD itself.

Obviously, I don't want to go back and re-point each of the photos individually. Is there a way I can do some kind of "find and replace" on the file paths to change them all at once?

The old path for each photo would look something like this:

imagemac:/Macintosh HD/Users/dgrobins/Documents/A-Z Folders/Photos/

The new path, in contrast, would point to a "Photos" folder on the backup CD. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan Robinson

Boulder, CO