2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 12:53 PM by danw2002

upgrade from 8 to 10, can't open data base...help

danw2002

Title

upgrade from 8 to 10, can't open data base...help

forgive me if this is not in the right section...

upgraded from 8 to 10 on our main host machine, now it gives me the error, "'xxxxxxxx.fp7' is currently in use and cold not be opened. If the file is shared, you can use the open remote command to open the file on the network" have done all the checks, closing all other machines to make sure they are not useing the data base, but it should not matter, as i was just trying to open the data base as a user, like we have always been able to do up to now.

phone calls to filemaker have not helped, they want to shift me to the next level of help and charge us, ouch...any ideas gang?? I have not upgraded the other office machines yet and they can still access the data base. they are on v8.

Here is the basic set up. we have a windows xp pro machine that hosts the data on FMserver v8, then it has FMpro adv. v8, which i just upgraded to 10 pro adv., then the office has 4 macs, with FMpro 8 on them. thanks in advance gang.<!-- POLLS --><!-- FILES --><!-- SIGNATURE -->

• 1. Re: upgrade from 8 to 10, can't open data base...help
          davidanders
             So, you have seven copies of Filemaker that can open the database.
          Server with the database file has
          FMP 8 Adv
          FMP 10 Adv
          FMP 8 Server
          And four computers with FMP 8

Disconnect the server from the network, restart, assume that Server is not starting at startup and try to open in FMP 8 Adv.
          Task Manager should show if the FMP Server is running or not.
          Works? or not?
          Do the same thing and try to open with FMP 10 Adv.
          Works? or not?

These are the basic beginning troubleshooting steps, useful for pointing a direction to pursue.

• 2. Re: upgrade from 8 to 10, can't open data base...help
            danw2002

I will do that Monday, but I can not open FMP 8, as the upgrade has been installed over it, so I will do it with the FMP 10.  Also  I will check in task manager and see what is running.  Seems to me that maybe FMP 10 does not maybe like opening a data base 'hosted' in FMS 8?  Any other directions would be appreciated.

"So, you have seven copies of Filemaker that can open the database.
            Server with the database file has
            FMP 8 Adv
            FMP 10 Adv
            FMP 8 Server
            And four computers with FMP 8

Disconnect the server from the network, restart, assume that Server is not starting at startup and try to open in FMP 8 Adv.
            Task Manager should show if the FMP Server is running or not.
            Works? or not?
            Do the same thing and try to open with FMP 10 Adv.
            Works? or not?"