2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 7:16 AM by charliehatton

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - GROUP EMAIL ISSUES - EMAIL CAMPAIGN MANAGEMENT

Title

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - GROUP EMAIL ISSUES - EMAIL CAMPAIGN MANAGEMENT

Hi again

I am about to give birth and really need some help with the below...will no one take pity on me?!

Charlie

Hello Gang

I am v. much a beginner on FM software, which may explain a little of why I am deeply confused.

I have set up a new campaign on an Email Campaign Management database.  Uploaded 400 odd contacts from one of my contact databases.  Then created sub groups of 25 names per group (this seemed a safe number per group email...did not want to overload the system).

I have then attached a marketing image and titled the campaign and pressed the send button.  My Mail account then pulls up an individual email for each contact, so I have to press the send button multiple times...I was fully expecting the email to show 25 names in one hit...am I missing something here? Why does this software offer you the option of adding/creating a group? What exactly is it's function then if it is just going to send out an email per contact in the end?  

I have come across the other option, going to File/Mail and then sending group emails via the Send Mail window either by email client / or SMTP server.  But I don't understand why these two systems appear to be incompatible.  Using this method would appear to mean that you can not actually track your campaigns, show history etc.  You are just setting up a random email to many contacts...

I called Filemaker Support and they suggested that I need to write a script to send group emails ...is this right?  I am confused as to why this function is not already available.  Surely this was supposed to be the whole point...?

Hope this makes sense to somebody out there!  Please help!  Charlie

• 1. Re: URGENT HELP REQUIRED - GROUP EMAIL ISSUES - EMAIL CAMPAIGN MANAGEMENT
          philmodjunk

FileMaker is a solution development tool and the Email Campaign Management starter solution is just that. It's a starter solution to show how you might go about using FileMaker to manage Email Campaigns.

Inside this starter solution, you have a script for sending emails. From your description, it's designed to send one email at a time not to groups of recipients with a single mouse click. You'll need to find this script, learn how it works and then develop a new script that does the same actions but which you've modified to send email to groups of recipients.

Depending on how the script currently works and what you need it to do for you, this may be a very simple change or one that takes a bit more scripting to do.

One issue to look out for: You can send an identical email to multiple recipients or you can send customized emails where the message has been personalized, one email per recipient for a selected group of recipients. How you do it in each case is different--so make sure you know which result you want beore you start making these changes.

• 2. Re: URGENT HELP REQUIRED - GROUP EMAIL ISSUES - EMAIL CAMPAIGN MANAGEMENT

Thanks once again.  This is really helpful.