13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 9:29 AM by philmodjunk

URGENT! No visible scroll bar

Dekade

Title

URGENT! No visible scroll bar

I have a repeating field. 14 repeats are showing. I have selected Field Control | Setup | Edit Box and then have check marked "Include vertical scroll bar". The repeating fields are bordered as well as 'Between Repeating fileds' is check marked.

No vertical scroll button or bar showing in Layout or Browse mode.

What is going on ?

Please help as soon as somebody possibly can. Very small time window here.

Thanks,

Dekade

• 1. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
          philmodjunk

It appears that you cannot use a scroll bar in the repetitions of a repeating field.

Looks like you will need to use an alternative to a repeating field.

• 2. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
            Dekade

Darn. I have repeating fields that relate horizontally to a day and date to the left of the field. The repeating field is known as "Comments Details". In this field I can type in specific things that occured today. This is for a time card database. The field allows me to keep a history for each day of a pay period per a specific employee.

Everything works fine left to right except for HUGE entires on a specific day in the "Comments Details" field. I have to keep shrinking the zoom in order to see everything typed for a specific day - as I am typing in the data.

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
              philmodjunk

Use a related table for the comments. 99% of the time a related table makes for a much better option than using a repeating field--something I use very, very seldom in my solutions.

You can display your related records in a horizontal row instead of the typical vertical column with the "horizontal portal" trick:

Place a rwo of 1 row portals side by side. in the first one, specify 1 as the initial row. Specify 2 as the initial row in the next portal and so forth.

• 4. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                Dekade

PhilModJunk,

I sort of understand you but yet I don't. I think it is the time constraint stress that I am under.

Could I ask you a favor? Could you please detail out the relationship manuevre and then the Horizontal portal trick. Can the horizontal portal trick be done vertically so that it will line up with each respective day of the pay period? My days and dates of a pay period are listed vertically in the layout. Thus I want everything to read smoothly from left to right for a specific day.

Dekade

• 5. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                  Dekade

PHIL!!!!!!

I just discovered something!!!!!! In layout mode I pulled down the 'Body' of the layout as far as I could. This allows the Filemaker window scroll bar to have much greater territory downwards. Thus I can keep typing and typing in a repeating field. It was the Body boundary that was screwing me up.

That helps me for right at the minute, however, I still need you assistance on the Relationship and portal tricks. Will you still help on that.

Thanks

Dekade

• 6. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                    philmodjunk

I'm confused by your description of your layout and data model. First you say that your repeating field "relates horizontally" to the date field on its left and now you want to vertically line up with each day?

Vertical for a related table is easy. You just need one portal and you can replace each repetition with a row of the portal.

To Set up a relationship and move existing data into a related table so that it can replace a repeating field is actually quite simple in FileMaker.

Hopefully you already have a primary key field in your original table. If not define an auto-entered serial number field and use replace field contents to assign a serial number to each existing record.

Then define this new relationship:

Originaltable::PrimaryKey = NewRelatedTable::ForeignKey

Define a single text field in NewRelatedTable to hold the data from one repeition of your original repeating field.

Now go to a layout based on the NewRelatedTable and select Import Records from the File Menu. Select the same file you have open as your source file and select OriginalTable as the source table. Set up field mapping to import the PrimaryKey into the ForeignKey and the repeating field into your new text field. Click Ok and a small dialog appears that will ask you if you want to split each repetition of your repeating field into a separate record. Select this option and you will have created all the needed records in your new table from the existing repeating field.

• 7. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                      Dekade

PhilModJunk,

Attached are some files that I am certain should help you better see and understand the database I am constructing.

Does looking at these files create any change to the last comments you sent to me?

Thanks,

Dekade

On my computer screen the following is displayed:

1. You may upload GIF, JPG, and PNG files up to 20MB
                      2. Images larger than 1280x1024 will be resampled
                      3. Your image will be uploaded when you click Save below

However, there is no "Save" button showing 'below'. So unless something happens here I might have to send you more replies to get all of the pictures to you. Sorry for the hassle.

• 8. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                        Dekade

Here's the next. 4 more. Still  no "Save" button.

Dekade

• 9. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                          Dekade

Here's the next. 3 more. Still  no "Save" button.

Dekade

• 10. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                            Dekade

Here's the next. 2 more. Still  no "Save" button.

Dekade

• 11. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                              Dekade

Here's the next. 1 more. Still  no "Save" button.

Dekade

• 12. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                                Dekade

Here's the last. Still  no "Save" button.

Dekade

• 13. Re: URGENT! No visible scroll bar
                                  philmodjunk

Nope. There is No "save". It's "open" in the dialog box that appears (at least when I do it with FireFox) and then uploads when you post your message.

For any existing data, I would export

EmployeeID, Comments and comments to a new table using the "split" option that I mentioned earlier. The indvidual "day" fields complicates this as you'll want those dates in the table as well, but they aren't in a repeating field. I'd probably use a script that loops through the day fields on each record and copies the dates to a date field in the new related table to set them up. This would not be the simplest script in the world to set up, but it can be made to work. I might use a portal to the new table and go to portal row [select], followed by Go to related records to update the correct comment record with the correct date.

A single portal with all 3 fields in it (only need one field to show day of week and the date if you use data formatting) can be used to list the dates, comments and comment details. And now you can add the scroll bar. Or you can use a tool tip to pop up with the full contents of the comment details if you prefer.

Note: as a "quick fix" that does not require changing your database design (I'd still make the structural change if I were you, but this might meet your deadline and then you can take more time to make the change for your next update of the system.), you could add a small "do nothing" button next to each repetition and add a tool tip that displays the contents of a specified repetition of your comment details field. Hovering the mouse over this button would then display the full contents of the corresponding repetition.