2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 1:04 PM by RickWhitelaw

URGENT!!! How do I input hint for fields

DavidHuang

Title

URGENT!!! How do I input hint for fields

Hey guys, I need it quite urgently if you guys could help me out Cry

I made this simple data sheet for my dad's company, and as you guys can see, the fields are blank, which make it hard to know what field is it for.

How to put words inside the field that looks like this > [  name  ] and once u click the field, the "name" disappear and you can type ur name~

filemaker.JPG

• 1. Re: URGENT!!! How do I input hint for fields
          Jade

If you have FMP Advanced version*, try this…

Put a text field behind the input field with the text you want to display (e.g. [name]).  Make the text field not enterable in browse and find modes (see Format>Field/Control>Behavior menu)

Set a Conditional (see Format menu) on the text field with the formula: not IsEmpty(input_field)      and set the text color to white.

* I don't know if Conditional is available in the basic FMP version or not.

Of course, if you do have FMP Advanced, you could use Tooltips instead.

• 2. Re: URGENT!!! How do I input hint for fields
            RickWhitelaw

"Set a Conditional (see Format menu) on the text field with the formula: not IsEmpty(input_field)      and set the text color to white."

This will work only if your background is white. Another approach is to use the same formula, then in the Conditional Format dialog, select More Formatting, then set the text size to a custom value of 500. This will cause the text to disappear.

RW