7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2009 5:26 PM by groucho

URL path to folder on FM server

groucho

Title

URL path to folder on FM server

I want to create a link to a folder with supporting documents such as spreadsheets and PDF documents. If I put the folder on the server any user should be able to access these documents through a button running the 'open URL' script step, but it doesn't allow the path '//server/databases/docs' - it always returns '/server/databases/docs', missing the first / and therefore doesn't reach it's destination. If I add the / in the dialog, FM opens the folder.

What is the proper syntax?

FM Pro 9 Advanced

FM Pro 9 Server

Thanks

• 1. Re: URL path to folder on FM server
          groucho
             Actually, to be more correct, FM server is running on a windows machine, so the slashes go the other way - '\\server\databases\docs' - it always returns '\server\databases\docs', missing the first '\' and therefore doesn't reach it's destination. If I add the '\' in the dialog, FM opens the folder.

What is the proper syntax?

TIA

• 2. Re: URL path to folder on FM server
            Jens Teich
               As far as I know, this sort of syntax is not supported. You have to create local network drives like z: with identical drive letter on each computer in the FileMaker network.

Jens
            • 3. Re: URL path to folder on FM server
              groucho
                 we work on a remote network so it doesn't seem practical to share documents on a local drive. are you suggesting that all users create a local drive and copy the docs to a local drive? that would leave us open to having several versions of the same document - possibly different for each user. perhaps a container field would be more practical, however i would have to create a container for each file - that could be cumbersome. just a shortcut to a folder on the server would be the most practical. how can i do that?
              • 4. Re: URL path to folder on FM server
                Jens Teich
                   Sorry English is not my native language and maybe I don't find the right words.

I don't want you to keep data locally in duplicate versions but map network drives locally. I don't know better how to say this in English.

Sorry
                Jens

• 5. Re: URL path to folder on FM server
                  groucho

thank you for your response.

i think what you are suggesting is creating a VPN as we are all in different locations and not on the same local network. that would work but would require an investment in VPN hardware. surely there is a way to do this with FM server. it almost works - i just have to manually add the '\' to the beginning of the URL path statement each time.

• 6. Re: URL path to folder on FM server
                    Jens Teich
                       I think too complicated, sorry for that. In FileMaker calculations two backslashes give one. You have to double them

"\\" -> \
                    "\\\\" -> \\

This is because backslash is escape character to express for example quotes inside strings:

"one\"two" -> one"two

Jens

• 7. Re: URL path to folder on FM server
                      groucho

brilliant!!!

that's exactly what i was looking for.

thank you so much.

groucho