3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 10:08 AM by philmodjunk

Use a Web Viewer to view folders and files in your computer.

carfiles

Title

Use a Web Viewer to view folders and files in your computer.

I wonder if there is a way to view a folder located anywhere inside my computer from within a Web Viewer inside my FileMaker database. I need to copy a text file located inside the My Documents folder and paste it in a FTP container field in my FileMaker Database. I can do this now the long way by minimizing FileMaker and opening the My Documents folder and copying the text file that I need, then maximizing FileMaker and pasting it into the FTP Container field. Couldn't the same thing be accomplished by having a Web Viewer window to show folders or files in my computer from within FileMaker.

I will greatly appreciate any suggestions...Thanks

• 1. Re: Use a Web Viewer to view folders and files in your computer.
          philmodjunk

A web viewer can list folder contents (at least I could do this several versions ago)

but you might instead consider using the Get ( DocumentsPathListing) function.

This produces a return separated list of every file and folder inside your documents folder. You may be able to parse that data to get the needed path to your file in order to insert it into your container field.

• 2. Re: Use a Web Viewer to view folders and files in your computer.
            carfiles

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your quick response. the Get ( DocumentsPathListing) shows the listing of folders and files as you described. The problem is that they are references to images without contents, the only option is to open the file to view its contents. That wont help me.

I do like the idea of a web viewer as you said you could do several versions ago ( I have 10 and 11 ). I could make it interactive and just drag and drop the file I need into it. Would you mind sharing the formula to use in the web viewer? if it works that will be great.

Thanks...Gary

• 3. Re: Use a Web Viewer to view folders and files in your computer.
              philmodjunk

The problem is that they are references to images without contents, the only option is to open the file to view its contents.

Not necessarily, if this is an image file, you can go ahead in insert the file(s) into container fields for viewing purposes.

I never had to drag and drop from the WV and I'm not sure that will work. In my experiments in an older version, I could list folder contents by using the Same URL you'd use with a web browser to open the file, but use the file path to the enclosing folder. As I recall, it was rather buggy in the version where I tested this. (Was looking for a way to list folder contents without using a plug in.)

And you might be able to use Insert From URL to insert the file rather than a drag and drop.

But Open URL could open the folder in an OS window and you could drag and drop from that into a container field. If you are doing a drag and drop of image files, the thumbnails shown in this window might be sufficient.